• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 TerraMar

TerraMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

I am thinking about upgrading my new (to me) Hawk and adding a built-in heat and cooking system. I have never seen anybody in the RV/ camper world use a dual fuel (diesel/ Kerosene) unit built by Wallas. The stove has a lid that folds down and a blower that heats the interior in the furnace mode. The distributer can be viewed on this site http://www.scanmarin...las_stoves.html This unit is seems to be a compact and clean solution to my needs. The only downsides I can see at this point, is another fuel to carry and the price $. They have two burner units that put out 2000 -6600 btus and the smaller single burner unit 2000- 4000 btus. They vent to the exterior making them much safer to use that some propane type (Mr. Buddy, etc). These units are very popular in the boating world (my other vice). I would appreciate any experienced input from some of our more tech minded band of merry campers. PS: I'm a newbie to this group and really appreciate the ability to research stuff here:).

#2 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

Earthroamer uses diesel stove and heaters in their rigs as I recall. But they run it all off the main tank. The consensus here has been pretty much to stick to propane in the camper.
I can't recall if you drive a diesel or gasser. I'm a diesel nut so anything that runs on it peeks my interest.
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#3 terrisjoy

terrisjoy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

That stove sounds great. I looked it up on the scanmarine website, they have 2 at a discounted price because of a repaired damage. They list it under the file called specials. I also have a Hawk. A '05 that has a furnace,couch,ect. I don't have the stove, fridge or sink. I loved the idea of having the extra storage and also I enjoy being out of the camper for cooking and eating. However, I did alot of winter camper last year and soon realized the advantages of having a choice in where I make my morning coffee and breakfast. It would be great to be able to be in the camper for cooking until the sun has melted the ice off of everything!! I'm trying to think of a design to fit between the furnace and front of camper,which would be where the stove and sink go. The sink is a no-brainer, the stove has to be vented some way, (any ideas?) The Wallas stove sounds great, where would you put the fuel tanks? They seem to have 2 designs. I'm also not sure about using diesel or kerosene. Does the diesel stink? Could I use the diesel that I fuel my truck with? Terri

#4 TerraMar

TerraMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

It is my understanding the unit vents to the exterior as far as 36 inches from the stove (depending on model). The fuel is normally carried in a pint container under the sink. Fuel (both electrical and liquid) consumption is reported to be excellent. I am sure other fuel storage systems could be installed. My truck happens to be a gas powered 07 F150... so yes one more fuel to store/ carry. John

#5 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Having about 40yrs experience with diesel stoves and heaters, I thought about a Wallas heater for my Granby, we have one in the wheelhouse of the big boat, along with a Dickison oil stove in the galley, used primarly for heat, as the galley is all electric. I see a couple of problems, how to feed it, not sure about the unit your talking about, but my heater and stove are gravity feed from a day tank. that might be a problem in a popup camper. With diesel there is always going to be some odor, something I've gotten used to. Also they are much slower to respond to temp. control than propane. In the end I went for propane power in the camper.

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

If you are looking at doing some long term exploration and have a diesel truck and tied the camper to the trucks' fuel system, it might make sense.

But the KISS method usually works best.

The propane system is pretty simple and very reliable.

I think boat manufacturers are more inclined to use diesel on boats for the fire hazards. If you blow up your boat and jump ship, you might end up drowning.

If you have a fire in the camper, you can just hop outside and still be safe.

No need to make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

Having a diesel truck i thought about it but theres just no way I can justify the extra cost. Maybe if i was doing some serious long expeditions but not for what I do now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

Pictured herewith is a Primus kerosene stove used on our circumnavigation in our sailboat over a period of two years. This stove is nearly 40 years old and works as new. This is a Primus made in Sweden. People use these stoves for cooking in cold rural areas like Sweden, on expeditions, mountaineering, aboard boats, and in high latitudes. Probably, every Arctic and Antarctic explorer has used one of these. When in use on a sailboat, it is mounted in gimbals. It has fiddles to keep the pots on the stove in rough weather.

I don’t know if I would be classified as an expert on the subject, other than having cooked with this kerosene stove for two years. Here are some observations; 1) Primus kerosene stoves do not use much fuel. A tank of fuel will last weeks. 2) Kerosene stoves are HOT and will cook quickly. 3) Primus kerosene stoves are difficult to light. It takes experience to light one without smoking up the overhead.

It is my opinion, for the average person camping in the Western United States, propane is much more convenient. A kerosene or diesel stove is overkill for the kind of camping we do with FWC/ATCs inside the United States, Canada, and Alaska.

Attached Thumbnails

• Primus Stove Front.JPG
  • Primus Stove rear and tank.JPG
  • Primus Stove origin.JPG

#9 terrisjoy

terrisjoy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:52 AM

Stan, thanks for responding, I remember how helpful you were in '05 when I bought the camper. What in the world is the Kiss method? I don't want to sound like a stupid women, but........ I do need a stove for inside the camper. I liked the idea of the blower heater because when the couch is folded out it seems a bit dangerous to run the furnace because the vent is very close to the underside of the couch! Any ideas? Do you know of a propane stove that is also a heater? Thanks, Terri

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

KISS = Keep it simple sister...

I believe you may be our only female member....er um, contributor, I mean poster...well you know what I mean.

Welcome aboard!!

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users