• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hamm

hamm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

I'm getting ready to put a furnace in my shell model and was seeking advice on which brand to get. I'm going with a 12000 btu model from either Atwood or Suburban. The Atwood I can get a little cheaper and it supposedly has a slightly lower current draw. A friend has had two Atwoods fail on him and swears by Suburban. Any suggestions?

#2 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:48 AM

Hamm. I did the same in my shell. I used the Atwood. Can't remember the model#, but it had the lowest amp draw I could find for a 12k btu output. The unit I have works flawlessly. I have it hooked to a thermostat, and it fires right up everytime. I'm a firefighter and am at work for a couple days, but I'll try to post some photos of my install when I can. Good Luck
Hayduke

#3 hamm

hamm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to see some pix of the install too.

#4 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

Could you list some model #s.Do you know what FWC + ATC use?Ben-Stan?
Thanks LM

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#5 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

You can find the brand on the FWC website. They used to use Atwood but I think they now use Suburban and ATC still uses Atwood (I think?). I installed a new Atwood in my "shell" mostly because the camper frame was already welded up for it (2001 model) I think the biggest factor in heater selection is mounting and amp draw. Read all the installation instructions carefully before you purchase to make sure the heater will go where you want it to.

#6 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Just bought an Eagle shell this year (2008) and FWC installed the Atwood furnace in it. It is model series 8500-IV. Works great and I don't find that it uses a lot of my battery power.

Chris:thumb:

#7 hamm

hamm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the input. I think that I'll go with the Atwood.

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

what year is your shell model ?

I might be able to give you some tips & tricks if I know a little about your camper ahead of time

talk to you soon

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting ready to put a furnace in my shell model and was seeking advice on which brand to get. I'm going with a 12000 btu model from either Atwood or Suburban. The Atwood I can get a little cheaper and it supposedly has a slightly lower current draw. A friend has had two Atwoods fail on him and swears by Suburban. Any suggestions?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#9 hamm

hamm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

I settled on the Atwood for various reasons, mainly price. Now I'm planning my cabinet and propane access. I know that some people here have made their own cabinets and I was wondering if anyone has a source for the LP access door. As usual, FWC has been very helpful and will sell me one but I'm trying to go cheap and maybe buy direct from a supplier. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#10 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

I bought one last summer to replace one on a Granby that I was working on, it wasn't much as I remember, what about the containment box? are you going to fab. your own, you can try PPL on the web, they have a lot of camper and motorhome parts. Me, I think I'd go to FourWheel for what you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users