57 replies to this topic

#1 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:25 AM

Rather than hijack deltarat's furnace install thread I thought I'd start this one as I've also been contemplating a more permanent heating situation. A couple of years ago I was looking at a used Kestrel with one of these heaters in it:

http://www.adventure....er-p-1679.html

http://www.rvstuffus...byolympian.html

Anybody have any experience with these?? I talked w/ a local RV shop and the guy raved about them (naturally, he wants to sell me one) and even showed me his install in his 5th wheel. Apparently the plus side is zero battery draw and they are not affected at altitude. Thoughts... good, bad or otherwise?? I promise, you won't hurt my feelings ;)

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#2 JaneS

JaneS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:00 AM

I have the wave and really like it. I have it mounted under the refrigerator. I've had it since 2004 and it's been very dependable and easy to use. I've rarely had to use it above a low setting because in a small space (Eagle) it warms things up fast and keeps things plenty warm.

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

JaneS

Do you have any pics of your install we could see ??

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

Have you had issues "at altitude" with the stock heater(s), SunMan? (anyone?)

#5 JaneS

JaneS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:06 AM

JaneS

Do you have any pics of your install we could see ??

I can take some. But I'm not handy like you guys are - I paid someone to do it for me.

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:21 AM

Mtn,
Thought I had read about some pilot sensitivity issues at altitude but moreover I was referencing issues with other catalytic type heaters at altitude.

Jane, If I were to go this route I was thinking of mounting one below my old ice box too as it seems to fit perfectly dimension wise and would be easy to feed off of the propane lines previously plumbed for the fridge option. If you had some pics I would be interested too, especially how the gas line is run.

Sunman

#7 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:24 AM

my 2 cents

I have the wave catalitic heater and a stock forced air heater and there is advantages to both and thats why I use them both.

At first I kick on the stock heater it works much faster and very well not sure above 7000 thou.
I then will use the wave for the rest of the time because it is silent and uses no electric unlike the stock heater which has a fan and goes on and off.
It does take a little longer to heat the camper with the wave by itself but not a problem.
My set up is tied into the main propane line with a T and mounted close to the floor.
I think the main reason it was installed with the stock was the past owner was with out 12 volt.I have it and dig it.

any who you can't go wrong, imo.good luck and stay warm.

Attached Thumbnails

• Baker Hot Springs and camper 015.jpg

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Snowhunter, that looks pretty sweet. Is it easily removable or permanently mounted? I kind of envision mounting one that is somehow removable with a quick disconnect for when not needed.

Sunman

#9 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

yeah sunman it is easy to install and remove .just put a turn off valve somewhere and remove the mounting screws to the heater.The hose could then be used for your outside needs possibly or taken off as well.

#10 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:52 AM

When you run the heater do you need to leave a crack open on the window? The stock force air is too noise a night so most of the time we turn it off. This heater seems to be great supplement to the stock furnace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users