#1 telebrewer

telebrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:53 AM

Anybody used a Black cat heater for their camper? Any thoughts, good or bad? Thanks.
'97 Dodge CTD '94 Grandby San Diego, CA 1516 was a good year...

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

Anybody used a Black cat heater for their camper? Any thoughts, good or bad? Thanks.

I used one for awhile, they get the job done but smell a little. That said, if I hadn't already installed an Olympian I'd be buying a Buddy Heater this winter. I think they are superior to the Black Cat.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

The black cat will put out some heat, but I found mine to be a little smelly too (we used ours only outside on the fishing boat a few years back).

I think if you were going to put a heater like this inside the camper, either the Mr. Buddy or the Olympian Wave 3 might be a better choice.

===============================================================================

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

I use one in my Scamp. It's not the best thing in the world but it gets the job done when it's cold out. It'll run about 7 hours on a full bottle.

#5 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:25 AM

Life is to short, Mr heater,if you are looking for a portable heater, "ok to be used inside".? So they say.
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#6 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

I've used a Coleman Black Cat in my tent, but not my camper. They are supposed to be safe inside, but they do tell you to ventilate. I'd definitely pay attention to that. Personally, I'd shut it off before going to sleep and rely on a warm sleeping bag. I imagine it would heat up a small camper okay.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#7 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

We used one on our first trip, Rock Creek in late September and were very cold, before the next trip I installed the factory furnace and we were never cold again, only way to go for cold weather or high altitude camping. I'm done being uncomfortable while trying to have fun, 35 years of living in snow county will do that to a person.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#8 Tim DP

Tim DP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

I used to have a black cat - it was smelly and self-destructed (the front screen piece pulled apart) after a solid winter season of use. Now I have a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy and it's great. Not nearly as smelly, much better quality and it can be hooked up to a large propane tank (the black cat can't without modification because it uses the green can as a base). I do wish it had a thermostat and would fire automatically... I woldn't bother trying to fix my new used hydro-flame in my Fleet if it did...
-- Tim Durango, CO Rebuilt 81' Fleet, '03 Ranger 4x4 w/Air Lift air bags

#9 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have a Black Cat and a Mr Heater Portable Buddy. If I'm headed to the high mountains in summer, I might take the Cat; in winter I use the Buddy. The Buddy really cranks out the heat.

Don't run either heater without ventilation and don't go the sleep with either still running! Count on a warm sleeping bag for warmth all night long.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users