• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

We are back from a two week road trip which was really the shake down trip for our camper. I am running one 24 series deep cycle battery with the poor mans auxiliary charging system, just a 4 post solenoid drawing power from the windshield wiper motor so it only charges when the key is on. For a little extra safety when off the beaten path I put two quick disconnects in the system as a poor mans battery isolator. In established campgrounds I don't worry about it but for a little extra piece of mind in the back country I pop the hood and disconnect those two spots which means even if the solenoid fails the camper can't draw the truck battery down. The system worked great, even when stopped for 4 days with minimal heater usage the lights didn't even dim. However, one night in Death Valley we decided to set the thermostat and leave the heater on and able to cycle overnight. We woke up to a dead battery. My in laws were near by with a battery charger and generator so we just drove to them and charged back up. It was a good test. Also we found ourselves wanting to charge the laptop in places without shore power so I got thinking about an inverter. This left me with a few questions that you all may be able to help me with.

1. For those of you running two batteries and perhaps larger batteries are you able to set the furnace thermostat and leave it on overnight or is that always too much draw?

2. For those running hard wired inverters how many watts are you running and do you need to have two batteries to keep the lap top and phone charge draw from killing your battery?

3. I want to install a meter that gives me real time info about my battery charge. I know FWC and ATC install them in their new campers but has anyone found an aftermarket one that they really like?

Thanks for the help guys!

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

I have three batteries, two in the truck, one in the camper. I normally leave them paralled just because I'm lazy. I always leave the heater on all night (if its at all chilly) and have never had any issues. The inverter with my laptop plugged in and on all day while I was out wheeling in moab did drop my batteries into the yellow zone.

I should mention I can Isolate the camper battery if I feel the need to with a switch.

Edited by craig333, 08 January 2010 - 09:31 PM.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

We run two 12 volt AGM batteries in the camper. We always leave the heater on all night. A recent trip to Tahoe got down to 18 degrees overnight. Heater was set at 45 and ran a lot. No problems. That said, we had driven about three hours to get to camp, so the batteries were fully charged. I would be hesitant to run the heater like that while parked in one spot for multiple days.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

We run two 12 volt AGM batteries in the camper. We always leave the heater on all night. A recent trip to Tahoe got down to 18 degrees overnight. Heater was set at 45 and ran a lot. No problems. That said, we had driven about three hours to get to camp, so the batteries were fully charged. I would be hesitant to run the heater like that while parked in one spot for multiple days.

I'm running two cheapo 12v batteries in the camper and have a 1500w inverter which, as I guess many do, has a very nice voltage indicator. I added the second battery to insure that the furnace would always run. I also have a Northern Tool 15w panel on the roof that has it's own battery indicator and keeps the batteries in good shape, at least when there is sun. Here is a decent inexpensive inverter, 1250w continuous for just over $100. http://www.sierratra...C-Inverter.html The microwave suck batteries dry fast :o
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 robojeeper

robojeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:58 AM

I do a four battery setup,two in the camper and two under the hood. 3 of them are tied together to run everything for camper and 4th is isolated for engine only.I have ran my heater all night for 5 nights no problem at the minimun temp 45/50 degree and snow on the ground.I changed all lights to 36 and 48 flat led style.I use a 100w inverter only for a tv or shaver etc.couple times for electric drill.Make sure to use size 6awg minimun size 4 or 2 is better on the inverter.the batteries are interstate ultima blue top,they are expensive but an 8 years life.they do take 2 days to recharge after I get home with my 8amp charger. Hey comfort is not cheap!
2004 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with 1988 Granby

#6 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys,

Does anyone have an aftermarket gauge suggestion?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:05 AM

I do a four battery setup,two in the camper and two under the hood....Hey comfort is not cheap!

Wow Robojeeper that sounds like a bomber system but where do you store all the liquor with that many batteries on board? :D

#8 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

I installed two AGM batteries from Cabelas, group 24 size. These batteries have the highest reserve power of any AGM's I looked at, while shopping for batteries. I can camp for three days, running heater, lights, tunes, all on 12 volt, refer is operating on propane, but still draws alittle 12 volt power. After three days I still have plenty of power for 12 volt. I have added a marine battery charger to recharge the batteries, normal recovery rate using the 10 amp charger is approx 6 hours. It's all about reserve capacity of your batteries. Check these batteries out, I have been very happy with them, they perform very well. And yes, still room for the booze !!

#9 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys,

Does anyone have an aftermarket gauge suggestion?

Rich,

I installed this digital voltmeter as have several others in the group. Works good for me.
www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/LASCAR_ELECTRONICS/572-0002.PDF

Dick
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#10 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

A bit off topic..but "battery" related and possibly of help to someone else (?)

I was out and about yesterday and came out of an establishment to find my truck battery drained (ah...kids and car stereos). I had jumpers but there wasn't any movement around/anyone nearby...so after the initial bum out and standard "WTF???" period I started thinking about the battery in the FWC that is ALWAYS chaged fully via the solar panel....

I dug under the cushions for the battery and unhooked the nifty velcro strap and then sat the battery (still hooked to the camper cables) near the sliding window in the FWC. I had just enough power to get the rear slider down in the Tundra and fortunately...the cables JUST reached from battery to battery.

Click........ Vroooom.....problem averted.

I love my camper

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users