26 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

The Lady & I were getting ready to roll out of bed just as the sun was rising in central Nevada. Reached down and turned on the thermostat. Awful squeal as the furnace tried to kick on. Sounded like a bearing was froze up. It freed up before I could turn it off so at least we had a warm place for breakfast.

I'll be digging into this repair this week. Have any of you had similar issues with the Atwood furnace and how about convenient sources for parts?

Thanks for the help.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

My furnace is a Hydroflame but I have had that same awful squealing and thought it was bearings. I lubed what I could and also discovered that there was a missing screw holding the furnace in place and after attending to that the worst of the noise was gone. At times I get some noise, usually when it initially starts, but it does run much quieter than before.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

Barko1, thanks for the info. I had a little time at lunch today. Looked it over and ran the furnace with no noise. Both the blower and combustion fans on either end of the motor turn fine without noise. I do not think it is bearings. I'm looking for other sources and am wondering if this is cold weather or ice related. It was in the mid twenties Sunday morning.
This is a Hydroflame Excalibur II Atwood, model 8516.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

I have an old Hydroflame in my '86 Grandby.
The blower finally seized up and tripped the circuit breaker that is located (hidden) on the back side of the furnace.
I took it apart. The blower shaft bearings were dry and gunked up the shaft. A lot of wd40 freed it up. After that I lubed it real good with 3 in 1 oil and it works like new.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

I have an old Hydroflame in my '86 Grandby.
The blower finally seized up and tripped the circuit breaker that is located (hidden) on the back side of the furnace.
I took it apart. The blower shaft bearings were dry and gunked up the shaft. A lot of wd40 freed it up. After that I lubed it real good with 3 in 1 oil and it works like new.

Desert Rancher, thanks for the info. I try that as I look for other possible causes.

#6 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:52 AM

Furnace squealing is almost always due to motor spindle either dry or bent (or both.) Although it could just be a loose screw on the sheetmetal somewhere and squeaks from the vibration. The furnace itself is a pretty simple unit. If you're reasonably handy you can probably do the whole job in about 3 beers. Take it all apart, if the motor is the type you can separate from the case, then clean and lube the spindle with dielectric grease, all other moving parts (hamster wheel) with dry graphite, and reassemble while snugging up all the other screws, paying extra special attention to the motor mount. If you determine the motor to be the culprit they run about 90 dollars direct from Atwood (YMMV depending on part #) but at least you'll be comfortable doing the job because you've already had the unit apart once. Also be sure to check the hamster wheel for roundness and the motor spindle to make sure it's not bent even a little. If they are, you must replace or the problem will never go away.

Also FYI you really need to order the motor by the part number stamped on it or on the sticker, not by the furnace's model number. They change the impedance and winding and all sorts of stuff all the time with really no rhyme or reason and the wrong motor will smoke your board pretty quickly.

By the way here's your service manual: http://bryantrv.com/...flamefurn04.pdf

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:53 AM

I'll go one weirder for you. My furnace gets that awful high pitch squeal but only when it's windy out. No wind, no noise.

Any thoughts on this one?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

BSS, thanks for the detailed info. That's a great help and really appreciated. I owe you three beers!

#9 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

I'll go one weirder for you. My furnace gets that awful high pitch squeal but only when it's windy out. No wind, no noise.

Any thoughts on this one?

Has to be the bearings. The grease dries out after time.
My guess is that the wind puts a load on the blower when it's running and causes the squeal.
It's really a simple fix, but you have to remove the unit. There's only two or three screws that hold the furnace in.
The outside vent is a bit of a challenge. There is a screw on the inside that holds it in place. It then slides to the outside of the camper.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

First off, thanks to everyone here sharing info on thoughts on this problem.

I pulled the furnace out today to get a look at it. Door came off the outside, inside vents and cabinet around it on the inside off, check for extra screws holding it in place (found one inside), removed the small heat vent duct, removed the exhaust port to easily get at the propane supply connection, pulled it out the outside access and clipped the four wires at the old connectors.

I called Marty at All Terrain before doing this and asked about the procedure to remove and any "little" things to look for. These guys are always helpful. Thanks Marty!

Attached Thumbnails

• furnace-001.jpg
  • furnace-003.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users