19 replies to this topic

#1 93ZR-1

93ZR-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

I just bought my Hawk and it has the rollover couch. Seems to be a wasted 6+ inches behind the couch.

Has anyone raised the height of the couch to match the shelf and move the backrest back to give more floor space?

Pics always appreciated!

Thanks!

Rob
Rob Houston TX

#2 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

That space is definitely not wasted in my camper. We keep our laundry bag there, rope, hatchet, and all the other junk that has no home. Magazines, water jugs, etc. Keeps things off the couch and the floor for us. Having said all that, no I have not seen anyone modify their couch in that manner. Won't you bump your head on the hanging cabinets if you moved it up and back?
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

That space is definitely not wasted in my camper. We keep our laundry bag there, rope, hatchet, and all the other junk that has no home. Magazines, water jugs, etc. Keeps things off the couch and the floor for us.

Me, too! It's a major storage space for me -- easy-access storage for some of the same kind of stuff that GG mentions, and more.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

Me, too! It's a major storage space for me -- easy-access storage for some of the same kind of stuff that GG mentions, and more.

I have several chunks of basalt from Craters of the Moon behind my couch. Beat that :D
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

Mark (edit: Ingalls) built his own style of couch that was raised to use that space.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

We nixxed the foldover couch after the first trip out when my son commented that it really sucked as a bed.. Before that, we had all decided that it was a severe waste of space....and had made the comment that who..other than a midget...could sit on the couch and allow anyone else to actually move around in the camper whatsoever?

Gosh...maybe if we set up the fabled FWC table it would make sense? Yeah...that musta been the missing link!

Bought a peice of foam.....raised it all up.....and now it is a permanent 36 x 77 bed/platform with far more space to store stuff than before.... or room to lay down in comfort without the seam of the cushions right in the middle of yer back. We also cut the corner off of all of the cushions and the support for the matteress at a 45 like some of the newer FWC's to make more room by the door/entry...

pics later...it's cold out there now....LOL.... Either way......we think it's an improvement.
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Mark Ingles built his own style of couch that was raised to use that space.

Beauty and Talent!
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1526/page__st__10__p__15903&#entry15903

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

On the new Hawk Models these days (and other models too) we do make the seat cushion flush with the carpeted side step area of the camper.

(got rid of that height difference / got rid of the bump)

By making the couch pretty much flush with the carpeted side step, it gives you a little extra storage under the couch and a little extra wiggle room if you are using the couch as a bed.

But we did not push the roll over back rest any father back towards the window.

We only increased the couch height to flush things out.

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Mark (edit: Ingalls) built his own style of couch that was raised to use that space.

In sleep mode it's higher but in couch mode it's not. Best Hawk project we've done so far.

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

In sleep mode it's higher but in couch mode it's not. Best Hawk project we've done so far.

Yep I was going to mimic the design but with a removable section in the bench to allow a dinette mode but then just decided to build a new camper. :P

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users