17 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

The Memorial Day Weekend beckoned us to get away.  We had been reading too many TR's without doing much of our own.  There were excuses why we weren't getting out, but enough was enough!  

We always enjoy the drive to the East Side.  Donner Summit, then wrapping around the shore of Tahoe, admiring the views of the lake, then dropping down to Carson and Antelope Valleys.  We love the big cottonwoods and ranch lands, with historical barns and the occasional stone building.  Ascending the canyon of the West Walker, we usually stop for break to run the dog and stretch the legs.  Finally, we break out onto higher ground, with broad views of Sonora Pass and snow-capped mountains.  It's like greeting old friends, to travel past familiar terrain.

The light at 530pm in the Bridgeport Valley was sublime.  My photographers eye was wandering off the road, taking in the golden light streaming across the cattle and lush green grasslands.  We saw an osprey hunting and a flock of ibis feeding on the ground.  The Sawtooth Range was well lit and brought back memories of various ski / climb adventures enjoyed.  

But, I was on a mission.  The full moon would rise at 807pm and I wanted to be in position to photograph Mono Lake at that special moment.  No time to waste!  I had done some research and wanted to check out a new area that I had not visited, so uncertainty was adding a bit of stress.  All week long I had been telling those that would listen, "I'm going to shoot the moonrise at Mono Lake!"  It's nice to have a project.  : )

We got there just as the shadow of the Sierra cast a pall over the shoreline.  I quickly packed a camera, a few lenses and tripod and began to head to the shore.   I grabbed a headlamp, but SR forgot hers and went back to the truck.  Callie was just happy to run around below the chest high brush.  

My phone rang and it was the 'Pinners!  We had exchanged emails just that morning, when I asked for some info about a nearby spring.  We both had loose plans to be in the vicinity, so why not meet up?  Ski and the Lady are great folk and we looked forward to sharing some adventures.  I quickly gave directions to our park spot and let SR know they were coming.  I blazed on to catch the moon.

The light turned sweet.

_MG_9281-L.jpg

_MG_9309-L.jpg

SR, Ski and Lady came down just as the magic show was starting.  I was working up and down the shore, looking for the best composition.  I had a new app on my phone that let me know when and were to anticipate the moonrise.  Pretty cool for $4.99 http://photoephemeris.com/  I think the desktop version is free.

_MG_9333-L.jpg

_MG_9355-L.jpg

_MG_9459-L.jpg

_MG_9495-L.jpg

An osprey was nesting on top of the highest tower to the left in the last photo.  I nearly got a shot of her stretching her wings against the moonlight, but that vision will be something I remember.

Look close and you can see her sitting up top of the tower.

_MG_9411-L.jpg

_MG_9501-L.jpg

What a night!  As I laid in bed, I was excited to shoot the morning too.  Sunrise was a 530, so getting out would be a 5am venture.

I was sleep deprived, but couldn't pass the opportunity up.  

_MG_9320-L.jpg

_MG_9640-L.jpg

It was only 6am Saturday morning and my weekend had already been spectacular.  What more adventures could be pursued?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

Well, of course the adventures were just beginning!  We were with the 'Pinners weren't we?

Besides Callie the dog wouldn't hear otherwise. 

We talked over morning coffee.  Ski had a mine near Chalfant that he had researched.  It sounded very interesting.  No roads went to this place, but there was a preserved miners camp with intact buildings.  We were in.  I suggested Chidago Canyon, aka Red Rock Canyon, which was new to them.  I knew the route from Benton, but wasn't sure how close it would come to the access for the mine.  Amazingly, the route intersected Hwy 6 right on track.  It must have been meant to be.

Someday I'm going to ride my bike down Chidago Canyon, chasing the narrow walls of red volcanic rock, descending thousands of feet.  I predict that I can bike down faster than we might drive the route.  But why hurry when it's so interesting, and bizarre?

_MG_9792-L.jpg

_MG_9775-L.jpg

_MG_9781-L.jpg

After consulting our various phone/tablet mapping devices, we concluded the road past White Mountain Ranch had been rerouted.  We were confident it would work out, since we knew the Spark Plug Mine was regularly visited.  We crossed the alluvial fan on a rocky road and entered the canyon to reach a juncture.  Ski, Lady, SR and Callie scouted the route to the high trailhead and came back reporting off-camber, hairpin turns.  "Fine!"  I thought to myself, "if Ski can do it in his lil' Ranger, then surely the mighty Tundra will be ok".  I didn't consider how much narrower their rig was, or that my Tundra turning radius sucks.  Following the 'Pinners up the narrow, HPF (high pucker factor) road, I learned a new appreciation for the agile competence of their rig and Ski's driving.  I had to back slightly to reset my turn on two sharp corners, which never feels that good with the void behind your rig.  :unsure:

_MG_9824-L.jpg

_MG_9825-L.jpg

He stopped after the first gripper and asked how I was doing.  I tried to be nonchalant, while my eyes racked the next exposed pitch.  Obviously others had done this route, so I figured we would survive.  

_MG_9816-L.jpg

We carefully parked at the top, chocking the wheels.  I wandered over to look at the view and found a friendly lizard, a Collared Lizard.  He was the master of his domain and didn't run when I brought the rest of the gang over to admire him.   Later I saw one run on the trail, they lift the front legs and sprint on their hind legs only.   

_MG_9863-L.jpg

_MG_9856-M.jpg

Edited by Lighthawk, 01 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Looking down the upper section.  I felt the lower section, which was a different gray rock, was more exposed.  We said, "Is that a road or a bike trail?"

Both had off-camber sections, narrow tracks with airy exposure and the afore-mentioned can-opener jutting inside rocks.  I'm sure for some it's no big deal.  We felt descending was easier than climbing.   I could see over the nose of the hood, which helped, so long as my brakes held up!

_MG_9828-L.jpg[/url

At last we hit the flats and could relax.

_MG_0136-L.jpg

The ranch that had supplied the miners was a magnificent spread.

_MG_0123-L.jpg[/url]

We were off for the Tablelands next . . .

_MG_0458-L.jpg

_MG_0162-M.jpg

Sunset brought a special treat as the Sierra Wave lit up from Mono Lake to Bishop.  

_MG_0298-L.jpg

#4 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Great photos and report!  Love the last photo.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

:D

What a great trip report, you guys sure know how to have fun and take us along too!

Smoke :D

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I hit the send button too early last night, and skipped some of the mine shots.  Those photos are being uploaded, and I'll edit and include some of them later tonight.

Have a fun Saturday everyone! 

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sunset brought a special treat as the Sierra Wave lit up from Mono Lake to Bishop.  

_MG_0298-L.jpg

Great photos and report!  Love the last photo.  

Yeah, that photo is a stunner! Looking forward to the next installment.

Edited by takesiteasy, 01 June 2013 - 07:11 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 imcolej

imcolej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Great looking trip and photos. Those first few shots look like they were taken on a different planet.

Is it a bike trail or a road? haha. Gonna be fun when you have to ask that question :)

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
2013 Hawk Shell

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

This is a bit out of sequence, but what the hey?   :P

Going back to our visit to the Champion Sparkplug Mine.

The gang was in fine spirits, after surviving the ascent of the RHP trail.

_MG_9888-L.jpg

The view up canyon was colorful.  The geology was off the charts.  Dr. Jeffrey (discoverer of the ore body and mine owner) was a sharp guy.

He developed the mine, owned the ranch to supply beef and veggies, and ran his own hydro-electric to the mine.  Did I say he had his own rail siding in Chalfant?

This guy was smart.

Somehow, our group of avid hikers only visited the lower camp? :blink:

_MG_9912-M.jpg

SR says we were anxious about the return trip.  Even though it would be light for a long time, we couldn't bring ourselves to go the extra hour or so the actual mine site above.  You could spend several days exploring this area.

_MG_0054-L.jpg

The cabins are well preserved, wrapped in corrugated sheet metal.  I have mixed feelings about this.  The metal siding wrap will preserve the cabins for decades, if not a century, but they also lose their historical flavor, at least externally.  

_MG_9921-L.jpg

_MG_9997-L.jpg

_MG_0015-M.jpg

_MG_0037-L.jpg

_MG_9943-M.jpg

All the doors were latched, but unlocked.  We poked around, exploring the half a dozen or so, structures.

_MG_9985-L.jpg

_MG_9987-L.jpg

Every group has a comedian 

_MG_0040-L.jpg

Water was scarce.

_MG_0005-L.jpg

But no lack of scenery.

_MG_0006-L.jpg

_MG_0030-L.jpg

_MG_0031-L.jpg

The museum was cool.

_MG_9951-L.jpg

_MG_0047-L.jpg

_MG_9969-L.jpg

_MG_0027-L.jpg

This is a special place, preserved by volunteers.  I hope it will continue to be respected and preserved.  We want to return and hike the lower trail (to see the route that the muleteers brought out the ore).  It would be fun to spend the night up there and visit the upper mines.

Add this trip to the bucket of places I've visited and want to return for a deeper exploration.

#10 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Wonderful report! Gorgeous photography & scenery. Glad you got your Mono Moon shot :)

Interesting mine stuff, too. Glad you had a second vehicle on the HPF road!

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users