• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

I know there is already a post about struts, but in case some are no longer checking that thread out, I hoped a plea for help would get some hits.

I have a 2012 Fleet. I received the instructions for adding struts to the outside from FWC and the specific struts to use - Suspa 40# C16-15952. All this information is consistent with the good threads here.

I was excited about installing them today. With the roof up I located the top and bottom brackets as instructed, lowered the roof and the max distance I can get between brackets is 19.5". With the height of my roof there is simply no additional angle/distance I can push this. I need at least 20" for the struts to not bind so the roof can be lowered all the way. Two neighbors came over to take a look, they also can't figure out any placement or angles that will work.

So... with everyone saying they do this in an hour, how do you do it? Is my top higher than others, or with struts does the roof not raise completely? Those are the only two things I can think of.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#2 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

The Grandby/Hawks are wider likely and so no issue fitting them. Maybe turn the bracket 180 degrees so the ball is on top, bolt holes down and slip them under your roof latch brackets? Also try 90 degrees and under the roof latch brackets.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

I know there is already a post about struts, but in case some are no longer checking that thread out, I hoped a plea for help would get some hits.

I have a 2012 Fleet. I received the instructions for adding struts to the outside from FWC and the specific struts to use - Suspa 40# C16-15952. All this information is consistent with the good threads here.

I was excited about installing them today. With the roof up I located the top and bottom brackets as instructed, lowered the roof and the max distance I can get between brackets is 19.5". With the height of my roof there is simply no additional angle/distance I can push this. I need at least 20" for the struts to not bind so the roof can be lowered all the way. Two neighbors came over to take a look, they also can't figure out any placement or angles that will work.

So... with everyone saying they do this in an hour, how do you do it? Is my top higher than others, or with struts does the roof not raise completely? Those are the only two things I can think of.

DonC, with the roof up and the bottom of the struts attached try and extent the struts to the top and place the bracket where it fits. On my install I was able to use one existing screw on each bracket and only had to drill one new hole for each bracket.I'll try to send you some pics later.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

The Grandby/Hawks are wider likely and so no issue fitting them. Maybe turn the bracket 180 degrees so the ball is on top, bolt holes down and slip them under your roof latch brackets? Also try 90 degrees and under the roof latch brackets.

We tried different angles on the brackets but did not see where that makes any difference. The end of the strut stays in the same location no matter which way you angle the bracket. Also, whether you slide the location an inch left or an inch right, the issue is that when the roof is closed, the strut is too long and does not fully compress - meaning the roof can't close. Luckily, I've done all of this with measurements, and no holes drilled.

There must be something very simple that I'm missing.

Well, I have to go off to a party for my son who just completed his MBA! I'll check back later.

Don C

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

DonC. I have a ATC Bobcat which I think is similar to your fleet,not sure. The distance between the ends of the struts is 21" in the closed position. Not seeing your setup not sure what the problem is. I used the same struts as you have. Hope it works out for you. Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4973.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

back to it this am...

I cut a piece of dowel the exact length of a compressed strut, drilled holes for the brackets - a wooden replica of a compressed strut. I used this to mark the location of the brackets with the top down. I opened the top and then held up the real strut - its a minimum of 1/2' too short. No matter where you slide the strut along the top, or which way you angle the brackets, I just don't see how this is physically possible.

What am I doing wrong??

Don C

#7 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

What is the height of the vinyl tent wall when you raise the top? Sounds like it might be taller than usual.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#8 MakersTeleMark

MakersTeleMark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Put them on the sides.

#9 specjoe

specjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEscalante, UT

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Put them on the sides.

Had the same issue with side mounting on my 2010 Finch. See my posts #207 and #233 in the other forum thread: http://www.wanderthe...dpost&pid=67422
2008 Tacoma Access Cab TRD, 3" Pro Comp lift (coilover and add-a-leaf), 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, CBI Swing-down tire carrier, IBS intelligent solenoid w/Odyssey 1500 aux batt under hood, ARB Fridge in extended cab, FWC Finch Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users