Photo
- - - - -

what do you do once your fwc gets you there?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

thought i would start this discussion with one of our hobbies once we set up camp(of course you have to be next to a railroad track!) called railbiking we do it only on unused tracks never on main lines.great way to see country that you cannot get to any other way,also great way to view wild life. would love to hear about fellow fwc&atc campers hobbies! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0275-2.JPG
  • DSCF0276.JPG
  • DSCF0277.JPG

#2 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

railbiking, never heard of that one...we climb (leaving in 1 hour), mtn bike and ski. sometimes we just chill, go for a swim and/or have a few beers. cool thread!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP1125.jpg
  • IMGP1212.jpg
  • IMGP1153.jpg

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hike, swim, Jeep, eat, drink, talk, walk the dogs, sightsee. Sometimes all of that, sometimes just one or two. While I've walked rails I've never ever seen it done with a setup like that.

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

Hike, mtn. bike, explore, base for back packing, cook, swim, amateur astronomy, soak in hot springs, jet ski/water ski, the occasional air show. I've started using the dogs to pull me on a skate board and I've seen off road skate boards, but their pretty expensive, so I'll have to see how well they adapt to on road before dishing out that kind of money.

Railbiking looks interesting and fun. I could imagine going a long way before realizing it.

#5 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:14 AM

When we are in the states and go camping with the FWC we mostly just camp. We both just love to hang out in a campsite. Nearly all of our truck camping is either in National Forests or BLM land and so we usually camp by ourselves in some spot we happen upon and like. We hike with the dog some but mostly just hang out, read and watch nature. If we find a place to hang hammocks we are grinning.
When we travel with the rig, that usually means Latin America and the rig becomes more of an RV...meaning we explore the sights and culture and the rig is just a movable home base. Our last three month truckcamping trip was through Mexico, Belize and Guatamala and was centered around exploring Mayan ruins.
I love your bike/railrider unit. What a great way to see stuff you would never have the opportunity to see! I have had the idea of something like you built but using a small displacement motorbike but I never pursued it. Your idea with the bikes is so much better since you can sneak up on wildlife and enjoy the sounds of nature instead of listening to an infernal combustion engine. I remember hearing about a stretch of tracks in some Asian country where folks had built carts for riding the rails and the driver kicked with a foot as you would a skateboard and it had a light bench seat to carry passengers. I think the article said they used old truck wheel bearings for the rollers.
Brian

#6 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

our long trips to baja are centered around finding deserted, secluded surf spots..I'm lucky my wife surfs, so this is a tollerable mission for the both of us..

Attached Thumbnails

• T and Pelli surfin.JPG
  • 1011801270_007.JPG
  • DSCN1201.JPG

#7 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

Alot of the rural spots we go to surf have fish camps. We tend to spend alot of time with the fishermen and thier families practicing spanish and trading state side goodies for fresh seafood..great off the beaten path culture..and the food is great!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1011801270_005.JPG
  • DSCN0914.JPG

#8 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

Couple more shots. Mostly to remind me of how bad I want to go to Baja!

Attached Thumbnails

• FH000003.JPG
  • lobbie box.jpg
  • mummies left.JPG

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

We're like Brian. We juist hang out, look at the stars, ride our bikes and enjoy the solitude. And like Tommy when in Mexico we kayak and do some free diving for lunch and dinner althoughi've never taken a catch like the he show here. But we get enough to satisfy us. I think just the camping is an end unto itself for us.

I have heared of rail biking and it appeals to both Pam and I. We would like to know more about it. C'mon LQ give up with more info and how the h&ll do you keep the rear whell on the track?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

Wow LQ you really got me fired up on the rail bike. I googled it but I didnt find a rig like yours. It really appeals to me because Pam and I can ride tandem and it looks like you can break it down and take camping. Where did you find the plans? I need a new hobby and Pam is ready to go rail biking.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users