29 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:59 AM

I put a lot of thought into how to transport bikes on my camper. Ultimately, I decided hanging them off the back was the best solution.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper-bike-rack640.jpg

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

I was camping at Rock Creek in the eastern Sierras this last weekend, and I saw this bike rack on a pick-up. This seems like the perfect answer to the bike storage problem. Go to "Thule" and check out the "Trailblazer" model. I didn't get a chance to talk to the people, But it looked very well built. It is a 2" receiver mount type so no trailer.

Mike

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:36 AM

So DD, what type of rack do you have that bike hooked to in your photo? It might be a Yakima. What fitting holds the forks to the bar? Do I see a bungee holding the frame to the truck's bumper? Got any more hot tips?

Thanks, Stew

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

So DD, what type of rack do you have that bike hooked to in your photo? It might be a Yakima. What fitting holds the forks to the bar? Do I see a bungee holding the frame to the truck's bumper? Got any more hot tips?

Thanks, Stew

Yeah its just a single set of Yakima towers and crossbar. Standard fork mount blocks. I cut down a couple 6ft tie down straps to about 4ft and attach one end to the rear dropout of the bike, and the other end to the bumper. I used some adhesive material on the back of the camper where the wheel rests to protect the camper from abrasions from the bike tire.

The method NCF posted would in some ways be preferable, but in other ways would not. I think you could only fit two mounts that way, where with the rack I was able to fit three since the fork blocks are above obstacles like the rear floodlights and door stop. Also - the rear wheel mount ideally would need to have vertical adjustments to fit bikes with varying wheelbases. It would be a nice setup, but difficult to do it right.

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

Yeah I have to remove the bikes to pop the top - definately a con. Another con is that the higher the rack, the harder it is to mount the bikes. I'm sure that setup you showed is easier to use than mine was.

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the bike rack tips. I'll work something out using all your ideas.

Stew

#7 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:41 AM

This has worked well for me so far...its important to get a rack that has a hinge so you don't have to remove it from the hitch every time you want to get in the camper!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP1125.jpg

#8 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

2" front mount. Bugs can be a pain though.

Attached Thumbnails

• charcoal_kilns.jpg

Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#9 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

mike, what do you guys think of the roof rack?

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#10 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:17 AM

Haven't really used them much. The previous owner used them for a canoe. I have used Yakima for years on various cars. Those are getting rusty and need replacement but I don't have the key.:(
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users