Four Wheel Camper custom bike rack

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:19 AM

bummer, is there a key # on the lock, maybe you could call yakima, or yakima dealer to get a replacement key...just a thought.

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#12 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

Guys,
When I got my camper, the Yakima racks did not have keys, either. i got a local locksmith to get the core out. It takes the special core insertion tool from Yakima to actually get them out once picked. On the core, will be the code for the key. usually, a letter followed by 3 numbers like 'A123". I just went to REI, found some cores with the same code, bought them and then I now had keys! Locksmith, 8.50. Cores, about 3o bucks. much cheaper than new racks!

Nice.

dave

#13 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

I'll give it a try. The old ones are bolted through the roof and I would really like to but Yakima tracks on instead. $$$$$
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#14 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

NorthCoastFishing,

I'm working on a rear wall bike mounting method and was just reviewed this thread. I'm interested in the rear wheel mount you posted in your second picture. I've looked for it on line and haven't had any luck. What band is it and who makes it? Thanks for any help you can provide.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#15 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:05 AM

Here are some pictures of the bike rack I added to the rear of the camper. We got tired of loading the bikes inside and wanted something that would let us get in the door and raise the roof without removing the bikes. The tailgate made the lower connection solid, easy to make, and holds the tire off the heater cover.

I really wanted to mount the fork blocks directly to the camper but the backing just wasn't low enough to make it work. The need for a mounting plate will make it easier to adjust height in the future if we change bikes. I would have preferred using aluminum for the back plate but it wasn't easily available. So, wood will have to do for the prototype (yea, another prototype that will likely stay a long time). I used putty tape to seal the plate top & sides and the bolt and screw holes so the plate could be changed out later. I also added the safety strap to the top for long trips and rough roads. Even though I've never lost a fork block connection I'd hate to have it cut loose especially on the highway.

Attached Thumbnails

• phpjaWFlnPM.jpg
  • php7nnzevPM.jpg
  • php0g0He7PM.jpg
  • phpoUBchTPM.jpg

DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#16 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

DLN, very nice...always stoked to see pics of your rig, great looking and well thought out!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#17 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

erod,

Thanks man, now I just need to get my air bags so I can get the rear end of the truck leveled out. The parts should be here early next week.

#18 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

congrats...you'll dig the air bags! good luck on the install...

#19 nyco

nyco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Here are some pictures of the bike rack I added to the rear of the camper. We got tired of loading the bikes inside and wanted something that would let us get in the door and raise the roof without removing the bikes. The tailgate made the lower connection solid, easy to make, and holds the tire off the heater cover.

I really wanted to mount the fork blocks directly to the camper but the backing just wasn't low enough to make it work. The need for a mounting plate will make it easier to adjust height in the future if we change bikes. I would have preferred using aluminum for the back plate but it wasn't easily available. So, wood will have to do for the prototype (yea, another prototype that will likely stay a long time). I used putty tape to seal the plate top & sides and the bolt and screw holes so the plate could be changed out later. I also added the safety strap to the top for long trips and rough roads. Even though I've never lost a fork block connection I'd hate to have it cut loose especially on the highway.

Old thread, but I'm thinking about doing something similar on the back. I just noticed the handlebars are both turned 90 degrees, so I assume you have to loosen them and tighten them each time you put on or take off the bikes right? Otherwise the forkmounts would be turned the other direction I suppose.

#20 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I highly recommend a hitch mount swing out bike rack that allows easy access to the camper. Holds 4 bikes, the bike in the photo is a very heavy electric bike so the unit is very heavy duty. It's a Surco DBR400 OSI Swing Away Hitch Mount Bike Rack. I got it on Amazon for $247. The clamp that holds down all the bike locks so they are secure when you are away from your vehicle:
Bikerack.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users