• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

I highly recommend a hitch mount swing out bike rack that allows easy access to the camper. Holds 4 bikes, the bike in the photo is a very heavy electric bike so the unit is very heavy duty. It's a Surco DBR400 OSI Swing Away Hitch Mount Bike Rack. I got it on Amazon for $247. The clamp that holds down all the bike locks so they are secure when you are away from your vehicle:

We have the same rack. Recommended.

#22 nyco

nyco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

How far out does the bike sit? My camper hangs off by 8 inches. Plus, that's probably 50lbs I shouldn't add sticking way out there.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0272.JPG

#23 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

How far out does the bike sit? My camper hangs off by 8 inches.

You can buy a hitch extender if you need it to accommodate the handlebars.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#24 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Next time I put it on, I'll measure it

#25 nyco

nyco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Figured I would add some pics to this threat of what I ended up doing. Thule fork mount attached to 1/2" aluminum plates on inside and out. Then I used an old bike tray I already had to secure the rear wheel.

DSC005142.jpg DSC005102.jpg DSC005082.jpg DSC005132.jpg

#26 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

IMG_1225.jpg I added a similar bike "rack" using the ladder on the rear of my camper. It's a yakima locking fork mount. The ladder is 1" square aluminum and it bolts on pretty easy. Also added a yakima wheel mount on the ladder to hold the tire since you have to take it off to use the fork mount. The bikes sites below the roof line and the handle bar just sticks a inch or two past the side of the camper. The nice part is you can open and close the camper without taking the bike off.

#27 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

zoie,

Welcome to the forum. So as not to completely hijack this thread, please start one about your ladder. I would be interested in knowing how you made and mounted it. Thanks.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hey, this looks like the place to post bike mount photos!
I've posted about my set up before, so I'll just do pics

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#29 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Ted: Rather than start a new thread on the ladder, here's a quick note. It came with the camper. I have phoenix/coyote shell popup from Denver, CO. that I bought last summer. I know this suppose to be a Fourwheel camper forum but the similarities are so close and I find this forum really helpful. The ladder is their old style but it's nice as it's only extends 3 inches from the back of the camper. As a side note with the bike on the ladder the backdoor opens about 110 degrees as the hinges are on the right side of the door but it has not been a problem.

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

Jumping into this old thread rather than start a new one.

Has anyone tried bike racks from North Shore Racks?

http://northshorerac.../NSR 4-bike.htm

I'm a tad worried about approach angles, and munching the rear tires.  Stability looks to be better than most on bouncy/rough terrain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users