Another new Hallmark

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#11 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

I can't disagree on the communications at times, there was a lag in response.  I do take part of the blame as I tend to just communicate via e-mail, and they not being a tech oriented company, don't seem to rely as heavily on that as I do in my normal life these days.  Once I could get a clog opened up, we seemed to communicate well.

I had an issue with my tie downs but attributed it to hitting a hole that I missed and bounced everything pretty hard.  Camper shifted and the tie downs did come off.  We limped to our site and I reshifted things.  The tie-downs did need to be readjusted, which was right at the limit of the rod lengths (they were almost too long at this point).  I also noticed that Torklift turnbuckles seemed to be reversed, with the ones marked front in the rear, and the ones marked rear in the front.  I have a question into them about it, but, see above...

Looks like I have the same tie-down set up as you, with the HappiJac up front and the Torklift in the rear with the TorkLift turnbuckles.

A question about the upper sleeping area.  I think you mentioned you got the North/South arrangement, we did too.  Looking at the progress picture though, it appears yours doesn't have the storage bins on the side. 

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#12 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

Well, you'd think that securing the camper to the truck is a basic, well known technique. However, there are several different systems and opinions on how best to use them. Installers mix and match components depending on the camper and the truck. I recommend that you read up on TorkLift and HappiJac tiedowns and turnbuckles so you know the options and how they work. If you know what you want, tell Hallmark and insist that they follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. If you would rather let Hallmark make the decisions, carefully check their installation. If you are continuing on a trip bring tools for tightening the turnbuckles which have a tendency to loosen in some situations. 

I went into this not knowing a turnbuckle from a turnover. I assumed Hallmark knew what they were doing. I was wrong and Hallmark was no help in fixing it. Fortunately, I was able to do repairs on the road. When I got home I did the research I should have done before hand. With TorkLift's help everything is fine now. 

My work order shows Happijac front and Torklift rear with spring loaded turnbuckles.  I'll confess, I don't know what any of this means.  I too am relying on thier expertise to make the correct choice.  I will have to do some reading.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#13 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

I am vacillating between Hallmark and FWC. I hope Hallmark fixes their issues because I really like their campers and think they would be more comfy. However a camper sitting on the side of the road is no good to me so get the turnbuckle issue resolved! That can be a deal breaker......

I would think of the two brands being completely different animals.  FWC builds theirs using a completely different design and philosophy.  They tend to cater to the folks that like a more utilitarian approach, with a lot of customers buying shells and fitting out themselves as they need.  Hallmark takes a different approach with their structure and and uses composite side panels for the main structure, then using a frame (wood or alum if preferred) to support the interior cabinets etc.  FWC builds an overall frame, then skins the outside.  Which is the better way?  I'm not qualified to answer that, 1000 ways to do something, 999 work good.

Their roof is one piece, complete composite construction.  Lifting mechanism is very strong and the entire structure can lift and support quite a lot of weight.  I don't know about the FWC roof construction, but do know their lift system is different.  Doesn't necessarily make it better or worse, just different.

I recently saw a report from someone who just also got a new camper (not Hallmark or FWC though) and they were talking about the alum framing of the roof conducting cold through which caused condensation to form along the framing grid.  I believe this happened in mid-20s temps.  We spent all of our nights so far in high-teens to low 30s, didn't see any condensation.  Could have been because of the conditions or that there wasn't framing members to conduct the cold, don't know and will be paying attention.

I don't think you would go wrong with either, both are well thought out.  Tie-downs not withstanding, the Hallmarks are well constructed and are an excellent camper.  I know they will make it to your design, although i don't think they will customize as radically as a Phoenix, FWC will give you options but stay within a limited design.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#14 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:54 AM

I am vacillating between Hallmark and FWC. I hope Hallmark fixes their issues because I really like their campers and think they would be more comfy. However a camper sitting on the side of the road is no good to me so get the turnbuckle issue resolved! That can be a deal breaker......

We looked at the FWC. Many of them around. Compared to the Hallmark it's more basic, different construction, fewer options and definitely less comfort.

Hallmark's turnbuckle issue is not inherent in the design, just poor installation practices. If you install the tiedowns and turnbuckles yourself it should be fine. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#15 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:13 AM

I can't disagree on the communications at times, there was a lag in response.  I do take part of the blame as I tend to just communicate via e-mail, and they not being a tech oriented company, don't seem to rely as heavily on that as I do in my normal life these days.  Once I could get a clog opened up, we seemed to communicate well.

I had an issue with my tie downs but attributed it to hitting a hole that I missed and bounced everything pretty hard.  Camper shifted and the tie downs did come off.  We limped to our site and I reshifted things.  The tie-downs did need to be readjusted, which was right at the limit of the rod lengths (they were almost too long at this point).  I also noticed that Torklift turnbuckles seemed to be reversed, with the ones marked front in the rear, and the ones marked rear in the front.  I have a question into them about it, but, see above...

Looks like I have the same tie-down set up as you, with the HappiJac up front and the Torklift in the rear with the TorkLift turnbuckles.

A question about the upper sleeping area.  I think you mentioned you got the North/South arrangement, we did too.  Looking at the progress picture though, it appears yours doesn't have the storage bins on the side. 

The interior photo is not our camper, just a look at the large central shop area with many campers in various stages. We do have side storage bins. 

Hallmark told me that they reverse the TorkLift AnchorGuard turnbuckles because they do not want the front to move around. The "rear" turnbuckles have rubber cushions with less give than the spring-loaded "front" units. They think that their lightweight camper design does better when the rear does the shifting. That does not make sense to me but I went with it until TorkLift said that the best arrangement for my camper was spring-loaded "front" turnbuckles all around. 

Properly adjusted turnbuckles should not come off when hitting a hole. They are designed to absorb considerable shock. 

#16 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

My work order shows Happijac front and Torklift rear with spring loaded turnbuckles.  I'll confess, I don't know what any of this means.  I too am relying on thier expertise to make the correct choice.  I will have to do some reading.

That configuration seems to be Hallmark's standard. There are alternatives you may want to consider. 

The HappiJac front uses "wings" that stick out between the cab and the bed. These require drilling into the bed to mount a cross-bar that provides support and a guide for the front of the camper. This works well, does not get in the way of wheel-to-wheel running boards, and is unobtrusive when the camper is off. The alternative is frame-mounted TorkLift tiedowns that stick out below the bed; these also work well but are more exposed to rock hits off-road.

TorkLift frame-mounted tiedowns are used in the rear because the HappiJac design mounts to the bumper which is not strong enough on most pickups. If you have an aftermarket rear bumper or an older pickup the HappiJac might work okay and is more protected from rocks. 

Hallmark used the TorkLift AnchorGuard turnbuckles on my truck. These come in front and rear versions which Hallmark reverses for what seems to me questionable reasons. You could ask them to install per TorkLift's instructions, or you could upgrade to TorkLift's newer FastGun turnbuckles which come in only one version. 

#17 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

That configuration seems to be Hallmark's standard. There are alternatives you may want to consider. 

The HappiJac front uses "wings" that stick out between the cab and the bed. These require drilling into the bed to mount a cross-bar that provides support and a guide for the front of the camper. This works well, does not get in the way of wheel-to-wheel running boards, and is unobtrusive when the camper is off. The alternative is frame-mounted TorkLift tiedowns that stick out below the bed; these also work well but are more exposed to rock hits off-road.

TorkLift frame-mounted tiedowns are used in the rear because the HappiJac design mounts to the bumper which is not strong enough on most pickups. If you have an aftermarket rear bumper or an older pickup the HappiJac might work okay and is more protected from rocks. 

Hallmark used the TorkLift AnchorGuard turnbuckles on my truck. These come in front and rear versions which Hallmark reverses for what seems to me questionable reasons. You could ask them to install per TorkLift's instructions, or you could upgrade to TorkLift's newer FastGun turnbuckles which come in only one version. 

Thank you, I think I get what is going on now thanks to your explaination.  On my hand written work order is shows the turnbuckles at spring loaded Std. Derr. which I have now realize means Torklift spring loaded Derringer turnbuckles.  These come in two versions, spring loaded for the front and cushioned for the rear.  I will keep my eye on the installation to see what orientation they put them on.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#18 COBlue

COBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:13 AM

Just wanted to say that my hallmark seems to be way more comfy than any fwc I've seen. If your truck has the happijac bumper buttonS make sure the plate that goes on the button is inline with the turnbuckle, else the plate can get inline and cause slack. I wasn't crazy about the straight chain turnbuckles hallmark provided so I got forklift fast guns and love them. But remember that on rough roads you need more slack to account for twisting of the truck bed. Overall, my experience with their customer service has been outstanding.

#19 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for all this info. I am not sure which way to go as far as FWC/ATC or Hallmark. I like the interior of the Hallmark better and really like the cabover. It adds a bunch of storage and keeps the bed area warmer, with what I would assume less condensation. Hallmark also gives insulated top as  standard. FWC/ATC are very highly regarded and it would seem also built very well and a little less expensive. Apparently ATC is the way to go if you want custom work and FWC if you like the standard fare. I will be going to see a FWC in a couple weeks so actually touching and sitting in one will help. It sucks that I can't see a Hallmark. I'm on the east coast and don't feel like flying to Colorado to see a camper..... Maybe one day a WTW will wander near Maryland:)

I do so enjoy all the posts here and the pictures and stories:)

My truck camper will be for retirement and picture taking:)

So much to learn..... great place to learn it from:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#20 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:53 PM

You could start a Wonder the East website.  :)   We might make it out to Maryland eventually to visit the girlfriend family in PA and DE along with some mountain biking down in VA and NC.  I'm not sure if that is going to happen this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users