• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:49 AM

I'm looking at building a shell.  The cost to upgrade to a flush mount glass top stove isn't that much extra.

It's $495 vs. $295 (Have to have a furnace, which I plan on getting).

I think it would be a nice touch, and give a little bit of counter space, given I won't have any at all in a shell.

My questions are... looks aside what are the differences between the flush top stove and the regular stove.

Is the flush top stainless steel vs. a baked enamel?

Is it a pain in the butt to keep looking clean?

Is the glass top strong, or do you have to worry about breaking it if you place items on top of it?

Worry about scratching it?

To me it seems worth it to gain a bit of counter space and have a better look.

I however don't want some artsy fartsy stove, that is simply form over function.

BTW, I don't plan on building a counter.

Comments...

Edited by Bill D, 17 February 2015 - 01:52 AM.

#2 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

I find it very usefull and durable. I often use it as my workbench. Throw a non-skid rubber shelf liner or place mat and it is durable. I'm not saying I pound on it or anything but I take stuff apart, clean firearms, fishing reels, etc.

#3 W6USA

W6USA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

Yes the flush mount stove is stainless steel under the glass.  I really like mine for the counter space it adds.  Simple enough to keep clean, but I don't do 7-course meals.

Scott

2012 FWC Grandby

2001 Dodge C&C 3500

1997 Dodge 3500

#4 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:58 AM

I agree.  I had a SMEV stove in my last small camper and it was very nice to have the flat space with the cover closed.  I don't cook much (honestly I use my jetboil more than a stove), so I appreciated the counter space.  The raised cook tops are always awkard to me, placed in the middle of the counter and making a large unusable space.  I'll order my fleet with the flush mount stove and sink for sure.

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

Glass top all the way.

It's stainless steel.

Not too bad to keep clean, I use Clorox wipes and a cotton bar towel. The dust that gets inside the camper does show up on the black glass, however, a quick wipe and it's gone.

I've used the top by putting a bamboo cutting board on top then any thing else I want, like a hot pot that I just cooked something in.

Haven't scratched it yet.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to have the two burners separated a bit more so, I could get larger pans next to each other. If they made a single burner, I would have purchased two of those and then placed them as far apart as I wanted to on my cabinet top.

And, if you are thinking about the two burner SMEV PI8022US, get it at Panther RV it's only $345.

Other choices in SMEV stoves from Panther RV.

Send me half the $ you save.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you haven't purchased the furnace yet, Panther RV has a few Atwood units.

I went with the 8012 - II (top left corner of web page). Only 12,000 BTU, but that's plenty enough for me. And, that one is the LOW AMP DRAW of 1.8 amps per hour. It a little different mounting than most of the others, it's only got a front discharge, so lacking some flexibility on that feature. To get more mounting flexibility you have to get the higher amp draw of 3.4 amps per hour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Panther RV has excellent customer service, I didn't see that I had a choice of furnace grill color when I ordered on-line. Shipping was a reasonable cost, (they are across the Columbia River from Portland, OR) and the units arrived quickly to me. Once it arrived I saw the default color was black and I wished that I had ordered Brown. Called them up and they sent me the brown one, before I could get the black one packaged up and sent back to them.

#6 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:34 AM

Alley, I'm building out a shell as well. Thanks for the link. I did not realize, SMEV had sink and stove comb.  Looks interesting. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

Thanks all... sounds like it's a winner.

I was more concerned with someone saying that they regret the upgrade.

ie. It's nice to look at, but I wish I went with the conventional stove.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

Thx again.

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

We have it for the stove only.  In our 2014 Grandby front dinette, it is in the very rear on the drivers side.  When we sat down with Sean Dempsey at Go Anywhere LLC in Wisconsin, our original plan was to order the glass for the stove and sink.  However, Sean suggested getting it for the stove only.  This allowed us to get a marine grade faucet which pulls out ($100 up-charge and not a posted option). We can pull it out and use it as a sprayer or normal flow (several settings), or leave it in.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

I have the upgrade and find it handy to have the extra counter space, especially since I don't cook much.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#10 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:23 AM

In hind sight, and after reading this thread I kind of wish I had gone that route too. I know that if you get the flush mounts, that you can for another $375 get a King sized slide out bed. I just couldn't afford another $975+
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users