35 replies to this topic

#11 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

I would just set my bed aside and keep it so it can go back on whenever. Or maybe I figure out a way to just swap them out and leave the camper attached to the flatbed.

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

<snip>  But as others have also stated, the flat bed truck limits your resell market. 

actually I was thinking about resale value for the camper down the line...........................it would hold a high value but for a much smaller market.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

I agree, Geezer brought that up earlier. I think they are awesome but I bet most people don't want to deal with them.

#14 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

I think you've got all you questions answered, and if I'm understanding correctly, you want the flat bed and understand it well.

So, I'll say go to All Terrain Campers, work with Marty and Jeff, they will do the things you want/need that FWC won't do and usually at a better price. They did a nice job for me with my custom requests for my Bobcat shell in my regular truck bed. I didn't need the newest advances that FWC offers, and FWC didn't want to make any changes to meet my needs.

When you fabricate the flat bed, try to make it a "standard" flat bed size, if that exists, it will be easier to sell the camper, if ever, later. I don't think you'll have any issue with selling it. Granted there are possibly fewer people that may want one, or could use one, however, there are also not that many out there, so, I think it will be a wash. Advertise it in the right geographic place, where there are plenty of outdoors-men with flat beds, and they will be knocking down your door.

After you've made the flat bed, Marty and Jeff can make the required foot print measurements (if you're close enough to take it by their shop), or talk to them before you start to build the flat bed (they may have some "input" for you), and you'll be "on the way". You may even want to touch base with Marty and Jeff to see what they recommend for the camper mounting technique, before you build the flat bed. I'm sure they have some good ideas, and if your' ideas are better (in your mind) they will work with you to figure it all out.

In any case, start building a relationship and partnership with Marty and Jeff on your project.

#15 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

Having just climbed out from under my truck after finishing up the installation of my flatbed, I'm going to throw in my two cents.

As far as pros go, like what ski3pin said, the extra room and different interior layouts are the big ones. I would add that not having tie-downs is another. 

Some of the cons mentioned were:

1) Expense -- For sure the deck and all that goes with it mean more dollars and more work for the buyer to get things ready for camping. 

2) Higher floor level -- My deck is 3" higher than the floor of by box was. I don't think that is going to be much of a problem but yes, it's higher.

3) Commitment -- Although I don't plan on removing my camper except to store it inside in the winter, I would imagine most would want to remove it and use their truck for hauling other things once in a while. Most manufacturers offer sides to go with their decks so I think that could solve that problem.

4) Resale -- Absolutely it is going to be a smaller market that will buy your camper and deck as a package especially when decks don't always fit all trucks due to dimensions etc. I have even made this problem worse by building a deck that only fits '09 - '14 Ford F150 6 1/2 ft boxes. 

I think that flatbed camper will remain a small part of the market here. It seems to appeal to those who dedicate their truck to hauling a camper full time. 

Edited by MANXMAN, 02 March 2015 - 10:41 PM.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#16 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

All good food for thought, I really just wanted to buy a used one but to get the year that fits my truck the price is pretty high, so then it seems I might as well just buy a new one. And I want a 8 foot model and those seem hard to come by these days.

#17 the tc life

the tc life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationcolbert washington

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

why not use a camper made for a regular bed and set that on the flatbed? then there is no resell issue of the camper if you decide to sell it. then you can use the outside sides for storage areas.

yes, mine is not a pop up camper but I have a regular camper mounted on a flatbed. I will never go back to a regular bed.

just a thought for you on it.

http://www.thetclife.com

2010 adventurer 810ws

1999 chevy dually 12' flatbed

#18 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

I have been thinking about that as well. But the extra space is really inviting. 

#19 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

This is getting interesting

http://truckyeah.jal...unds-1689441924

If GM makes it possible to purchase a 4dr 4x4 Colorado without a box then it starts to make things interesting for the flat bed camper idea.

2200lb payload capacity hmm

#20 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

That is pretty cool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users