• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 joanie4c

joanie4c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

I'm thinking of adding no see-um bug netting to all the screens. Has anyone had experience with this? It seems I would need stick-on velcro to put on the camper itself. Then some sew-on velcro to sew onto the no see-um netting. We've had issues with no see-ums in southern Utah in the past and are soon to go there again. They get through the regular screens.

#2 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:43 PM

Might just be easier to replace the screen with no see-um netting?  Pulling out the old screen from the frame and new screen install is pretty easy.

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

I haven't done this, but I've experienced the need myself -- including in southern UT.  <_<  I've wished for finer mesh, too.  The regular mesh is only fine enough to stop flies and full-size/large mosquitoes.

Are you talking about [including] the screens in the soft-side/pop-up windows?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

Same thing happened to me in the Nevada desert. Easy solution that worked for me was to spray a tissue with a very small amount of RAID and very lightly wipe the screen, not really even every square inch.

I was suprised how well it worked!

#5 joanie4c

joanie4c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the RAID idea. We'll likely use that or something similar if I don't get this project finished. For now I'm thinking I may replace the screen door screens with the no see-um netting unless I am just add it. For the four big pop-up windows I think I can use sew-on Velcro. For the slider window, wheel well sliders, and overhead fan I will need to use the combo stick-on and sew-on. I seem so overwhelmed right now I'm not sure how much I will get done. I guess I'll just start with one kind, maybe the four sew-on windows. But with that I wonder if I should just make them to fit right over the existing screens or go all the way up & down to the artic Velcro.

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

...Easy solution that worked for me was to spray a tissue with a very small amount of RAID and very lightly wipe the screen, not really even every square inch...

This sounds like a good idea.  Do you mean "Raid Flying Insect Killer", specifically?

There was a large tear in the screen in my roof vent, and in very-mosquito-y ID & MT last June the mosquies found the gap and were pouring in.  I sprayed the screen with mosquito repellent and that helped discourage them from the hole.

DEET (in many mosquito repellents) is a great solvent/plasticizer for many plastics, but OK on the metal vent screen.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

I replaced my door and framed window screen with no seeum screens. It was very easy. I used a hot glue gun to attach the no seeum screen to the roof vent which has worked very well. I tried this method on the windows in the tent area and it did not work out.
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#8 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:57 AM

Yes sir, Raid Flying Insect Killer", did the trick! Very light application.Thanks for the heads up on Deet.

#9 CSG

CSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Idaho

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

I have a pop up roof on my PW Traverse van and have dealt with issue too (screens are too big a mesh).  I have some no see um netting that I used to make screens to fit over the front driver and passenger window.  I've wondered how I can attach this screening over the existing screens in the pop top without trying to sew it on.  I was told about a product called Tear Mender which is said to be a strong and flexible fabric glue.  I ordered a small bottle and intend to give it a try this week.

http://www.amazon.co...rmender,aps,349

Edited by CSG, 05 March 2015 - 05:26 AM.

2002 Lexus LX470

2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse camping van

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 EC/LB

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Timely topic. We hope to be joining the camper owner ranks real soon. Last year on a tent trip to the Outer Banks we got eaten alive by No-see-ums. It was a new experience for us and not pleasant. I had been wondering about the screens in these campers as we hope to have ours before this years trip to the same place.

We bought a couple of king sized mosquito nets a while back for our house. This was to keep the invasive stink bugs out of the beds(new problem here in the mid atlantic). I have thought about rigging one of these from the ceiling of the camper. maybe the 4 poster style. And just living under that in the camper if they get bad again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users