Condensation - Roof Vents - windows

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

I am thinking of ways to deal with condensation. One idea I had was to try and ventilate the camper a bit while driving to help dry it out (at least on warm and dry days). 

Does anybody open a roof vent slightly (they seem fragile to me) or crack a window to let in air? 

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:20 AM

I am thinking of ways to deal with condensation. One idea I had was to try and ventilate the camper a bit while driving to help dry it out (at least on warm and dry days). 

Does anybody open a roof vent slightly (they seem fragile to me) or crack a window to let in air? 

I usually have the roof vent open just a bit and open the front slider a inch or so.

Just enough to get some air flow.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

I have had success with making time to pop the top (or keep the pop topped) open all the windows vents, and turn the furnace on for about 45 mins.

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:35 AM

I just ordered an Eva-Dry 500 Mini-Dehumidifyer unit.  There were very good reviews.  No cord or batteries.  I believe you re-charge the unit periodically.  Had good reviews.  Ordered through Amazon.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

I just ordered an Eva-Dry 500 Mini-Dehumidifyer unit.  There were very good reviews.  No cord or batteries.  I believe you re-charge the unit periodically.  Had good reviews.  Ordered through Amazon.  jd

I have several. They work fine, but I don;t think they can keep up with the condensation. I have one in my FWC at all times. The last two I bought have had issues - one "leaked" (dropped little pellets) and the other one had the heater fail so it could not be recharged. Just a heads up. For the cost they are fine. 

#6 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

I have had success with making time to pop the top (or keep the pop topped) open all the windows vents, and turn the furnace on for about 45 mins

I do that when I can, but somedays I just want to hit the road and go. 

#7 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

I crack the side window and open the top vent, but the vent seems to close itself while I am driving.

Gregg

#8 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

We get lots of condensation with two people and all our cooking inside.  We use the roof vents and side window as much as comfort allows meaning we do not chill inside the camper while cooking, reading, etc.  We sleep with the roof vents and side window cracked always while relying on our sleeping bags and fleece sleeping bag liners for comfort.  The roof vents, rear door, and side window are completely opened when we begin taking down the camper or lounging outside the camper late in the day.  We wipe down the side fabric and roof aluminum frame before taking down the camper and store all damp towels (dish+wipe) in the cab.  Towels can be spread out in the cab to dry while we are hiking or we hang them on cloths lines strung from the jack brackets at the end of the day when setting up the camper.  We carry a large collection of towels to handle several days of rain while storing anything damp in the cab (rain suits, jackets, towels, boots...).  We never drive with a roof vent open or the side window.  Stickers on our camper say the vibration of an open window/vent will damage them while driving which I strongly agree with.    We do get a lot of drying while driving with the camper closed unless the day is rainy (did I mention how large our towel collection is?).

#9 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

I recall reading something from Fantastic Fans regarding this issue.  They say the vents should be closed during movement.  If open, the dome will vibrate while driving and you may damage the plastic cover or mechanism.  I learned this the hard way after cracking one of my vent domes.  It wasn't closed tight and the vibration was enough to break the metal extension arm where it connects to the plastic on the inside. 

I'll open the vents when I stop for any length of time.  I also drive with the side (louvered) window open an inch or two....can't hurt.   

#10 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:37 AM

We have camped in the cold in the Sierra, along the Oregon Coast and in Yellowstone in early May.  We got plenty of condensation overnight in these locations.  If we are planning to pack up we towel everything down in the morning and run the heater until the camper gets warm and the water evaporates, Once dry we drop the top, buckle up and go on way.  

If staying we still towel down and then open the windows and air everything out and let the warming day help out. Both approaches have worked just fine.  

We take extra effort to avoid having to drop the top with the insides damp.

Never had to deal with warm and humid so not sure how to handle that situation.

I am considering buying a couple of a 12v clamp on fans to speed up the evaporation.  But would probably mainly use if plugged into shore power.

Edited by ckent323, 05 March 2015 - 04:40 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users