• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 danno808

danno808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

First time poster, who really appreciates all the good pointers found on these forums.  I have just recently retired from the Army, and am starting to plan the next phase of my life.  Will be basing out of SoCal, but ultimately want to spend at least a year or two camping and surfing somewhere between San Diego and the beaches of South America.  I really want to purchase a Toyota 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed and an aluminum frame pop up camper from FWC, ATC, or Phoenix, but am concerned about what the weight of the camper will do to the truck over the long term, so have been thinking about a Tundra Double Cab or similar 1/2 or even 3/4 ton truck.  Hope to keep both until the DMW tells me I shouldn't be on the road anymore, so don't want to buy a truck only to have to replace it in 3-4 years.  Any advice from someone who has been down that road (literally) would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Hey Welcome to the forum, thank you for your service , and congrats on your retirement. I am running a 1998 Cheverolet Z71 with a Hawk and Air Bags - Regular Maintenance for me

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

Congratulations on retirement and thank you for your extensive service. 

I've only been around one buddy's Taco (an '06 Double Cab) and I didn't much care for it.  He keeps it fairly well-laden with a fiberglass shell and a bunch of tools and gear (retired from Federal Gummint service himself, and much on the move), and the Taco really seems to wallow and gets poor fuel mileage for a small truck.  Both he and I are XLs in terms of size (6'2" and +220 lbs), and the Taco cab seems a bit tight.

If by "camping and surfing for a couple of years" followed by keeping your rig for a long time afterward you mean the camper would remain loaded up pretty much all the time, and particularly if you'll be running some other vehicle as a daily driver after the first couple of years are over, I'd tend to go heavy on the truck.  A half-ton full-size or even a 3/4 tonner isn't going to see a great deal worse fuel mileage than a (nearly) overloaded V-6 Taco and you won't be pushing the envelope every time you climb a long grade on the Interstate, traverse a long rough section of trail, or hit the binders for a panic stop.  I'd envision about how many miles I'd likely drive the rig annually and apply that figure to a range of estimated fuel consumption figures. A very possible outcome is the difference in fuel $$ between a fullsize truck and a Taco, expressed annually, is neither a deal maker or a deal breaker. 

Enjoy the planning and the adventure!  You've earned it!

Foy

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

Recognizing that "didn't much care for it" is potentially an opening salvo in a truck flame war, I should emphatically add that I very much like Toyota trucks and in fact presided over a fleet of them in my mineral exploration days back in the early 1980s.  We ran them hard, put them up wet, and they were fine tools for the job.  I just would prefer something heavier for extensive, extended truck camper touring having a large off-highway element, for the combination of reasons cited, and not due to any ill will towards Tacomas or Toyotas in general.

Foy

#5 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

Look at Roseann and Jonathon Hansens JTAC project  (http://www.expeditio...edition-vehicle

if you google it, there are several more articles about this build. And Jonathon will certainly have lot's to say if you contact him.  We went from a 05 Tacoma to an 05 Tundra for our Ocelot since we wanted more room with two yellow labs and lot's of gear. But I miss our Tacoma too!  Good luck.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hey Welcome to the forum, thank you for your service , and congrats on your retirement. ...

x2!

We love our Tacoma and don't notice any performance issues with the camper on (details in the blog linked in my signature). We do try to travel light and even so are usually pushing the GVWR. I am considering beefing up the suspension. One thing I would say is with the DCLB, you give up a lot of the advantage of the smaller truck. The wheelbase ends up near that of a full size truck- something to consider. We haven't owned the truck long enough to know if there are long-term issues of carrying the camper but I don't anticipate any. We take the camper off and store it in the winter so it is not on the truck full time.

Edited by takesiteasy, 26 March 2015 - 02:43 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for your service.

I love my Tacoma. I can't imagine doing a year's worth in my Finch. An Eagle with kitchenette maybe. For the Taco suspension upgrades are necessary. Not sure about a Tundra. There is a new Tacoma coming out later this year so that might be worth looking at since there will be five different trim levels.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#8 danno808

danno808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Appreciate all the quick and valuable feedback!  Two things really jumped out at me:

1.  The longer wheelbase of the Double Cab Long Bed negates some of what I thought were the advantages of having a Tacoma.  Really want both the double cab (plan to add a lab someday soon, and the wife will need someplace to ride :) ), and the 6 foot bed giving me more living space in the camper for my long patrol, so unfortunately the Tacoma Access Cab isn't an option.

2.  MPG is not all that much better with the Tacoma, particularly when loaded.  I'm not afraid of driving a Tundra or something similar as a daily driver around SD when not using the camper, but thought a Tacoma would extend my range while driving in remote areas.  If the fuel saving advantage is not all that great, having a V8 would probably be a better option.

Probably should start looking more at Tundras, and following the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton threads.  Thanks for all the sage advice!  

#9 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:16 AM

If you want nearly ultimate Tacoma usage, read Kodachrome's posts on his Taco. Mileage I got with the Bobcat on board was 12 to 17 mpg depending on road conditions. The larger Tundra means more room (Hawk or Ocelot or Panther) but I will bet you will do some beefing up on the suspension there, too.

I was very happy with the ATC crew and the Bobcat, so I would say to give them a shout when you are ready to get serious about buying, especially if you have some individual ideas about what you want.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

Appreciate all the quick and valuable feedback!  Two things really jumped out at me:

1.  The longer wheelbase of the Double Cab Long Bed negates some of what I thought were the advantages of having a Tacoma.  Really want both the double cab (plan to add a lab someday soon, and the wife will need someplace to ride :) ), and the 6 foot bed giving me more living space in the camper for my long patrol, so unfortunately the Tacoma Access Cab isn't an option.

2.  MPG is not all that much better with the Tacoma, particularly when loaded.  I'm not afraid of driving a Tundra or something similar as a daily driver around SD when not using the camper, but thought a Tacoma would extend my range while driving in remote areas.  If the fuel saving advantage is not all that great, having a V8 would probably be a better option.

Probably should start looking more at Tundras, and following the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton threads.  Thanks for all the sage advice!  

1. We carry our golden retriever everywhere we go in the access cab. I removed the jump seats, built a platform for the dog and there is lots of room back there. We carry our water in the foot well under the platform. Works well. Your wife might not like it though. :)

2. We get 16-18 mpg, sometimes 20 with the camper on. I don't think you will do that in a full size unless you get a diesel.

YMMV.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users