- - - - -

Buyers regret?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#11 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

I would have liked to get the fiberglass siding and the flush mount appliances, but I think I would have regretted spending the extra cash even more. I was able to buy some great stuff with the money I saved. My biggest regret is the depressingly dark and ugly sponge granite counter tops. I would have preferred the white that was offered on earlier models. FWC offers a choice of fabric colors so why not Formica as well?  

#12 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Wishing they hadn't forgotten to install my front vent. Now I gotta go to Woodland California to have it installed. Gonna have another fantastic fan put in. Otherwise I haven't used it enough to regret anything else....except maybe a flush sink and a king slide out bed.....and Warp Drive...a mounted 40MM Bofors turret...fer shooting down the bad aliens and....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....

2nd the Warp drive and rootbeer:) Cloaking device could come in handy as well as a photon torpedo or two :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#13 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Ah, let's see. On our Ocelot I would have had them put the propane tank box up against the front of the camper instead of mid-way. And the rear steps for accessing the roof are not really needed now that we have a telesteps ladder - replacing them with some type of tie-down has been on my mind. And having at least two more inches over the bed would be nice! Other than that, happy!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#14 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

Great thread - thanks!  I am right in the middle of putting together an order (for another brand - wife wanted to go a different way and who was I to argue?) but this is very helpful.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#15 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

This is a great thread.  I spent 1 year researching what I wanted.  When we sat down with Sean Dempsey, he recommended against getting the second solar panel until after we had a year under our belt.  I did get the rear plug and I've been debating since the 2 batteries and 100w solar seem to be doing the job.  Rear awning was a back order, so we didn't have it until later in the year.  We have used it based on weather and whether we will be dropping the top each day to drive to a trail head or whatever.  The side awning has been great.  I originally ordered the tracks for the roof, but cancelled that before the order was final.  I can't think of anything I regret not ordering.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#16 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

2009 Hawk.  We don't use the dining table and would have left it out entirely if it were an option.  Should have put it on a 3/4 ton pickup from the start.

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

I wish I would have added the second vent in the roof, a side awning, and refer fan. Maybe the rear LED floods as well.

I would definitely have gone with the side dinette rather than the rollover couch, if I could have a do over. Same for the external gas lift struts versus the internal struts.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 27 March 2015 - 02:23 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#18 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Great thread idea, Idahoron

....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....

My cloaking device sucks, drains the battery in 20 minutes.  Root beer dispensary is an must!

Two things I regret regarding my order...I should have ordered the compressor refer instead of the 3-way.  Happy to report I replaced the 3-way with a very nice Isotherm Cruise Marine refer. The second item is the front window between the camper and cab.  Haven't opened it and I don't plan to.  No, leaks, no issues...just don't have a need for it.    

Only use I have for the front sliding window is to clean the rear sliding window on the truck ( ditto truck sliding window to clean front camper window).

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#19 JacintoKid

JacintoKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

The only regret I have so far is related to setting up the truck. I went with Ride Rite bags and they perform flawlessly and the truck handles the load very very well. However, I plan on using this rig on some CO Jeep trails this summer and most of it's life will be spent thumping up and down the beach here in TX. I am now planning on removing the airbags and doing the full Old Man Emu suspension replacement which should be better suited to fit my planned usage. The only possible regret on the camper is not ordering flush mounted appliances. If the cost had been slightly lower, I would have done it for sure. The rear wall steps haven't seen much use but now that spring is approaching, maybe i'll use them more as I'll be hauling the kayak on the roof. Speaking of that, I'm happy with the Yakima setup not only for the boat but for extra storage for lightweight bulky items. The 3 way fridge is fine although it takes a little bit of experience and a few freeze-ups/thaws to get it dialed in. I'm glad I ordered the rear awning although it probably won't see a lot of use. It's invaluable though, during wet weather to keep a (small) dry spot at the rear of the camper. The 2nd battery will sometimes be helpful but other times, nothing more than a 50# weight I'll have to drag around. No problem though as It's easy to remove when not needed. I still think I made the right choice with the rollover couch but the side dinette option was tempting. Love the camper so far, Brad

#20 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

My only regret is not getting more solar.  90W isn't enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users