• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

Do you guys insure your FWC campers, if so what kind of insurance and how much and what kind of coverage, and do I need to let my regular insurance company know I'll be carrying a camper? I have no clue. Thanks

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 30 March 2015 - 02:26 AM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#2 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:07 AM

We belong to the " Good Sam Club" since 1985. They offer group rates on RV's, campers, auto's. Full coverage on the Eagle with $500 deductible, $250-500 liability about $150 per year. I told them it was mounted full time.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 30 March 2015 - 03:08 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#3 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:45 AM

We have our camper covered for the purchase price through Progressive, $100/yr.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#4 Michaelcanv

Michaelcanv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:58 AM

When I bought my FWC called state farm (my truck ins) and camper is not covered as part of my truck insurance (not sure about other ins companies).  You will need to set up a policy, was very easy, and not expensive...did it with SF.  You do not need to insure it...but better safe than sorry.

My agent told me I did not need to let them know, I actually had to specifically ask if they could insure it.  Had to send pictures and proof of purchase/receipt...FWC website was helpful to them as well...  Easy to describe a FWC when on truck and in person, but over the phone hard to explain what it is.

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:06 AM

My State Farm policy covers the camper as long as it is on the truck since it is considered a load. I didn't believe it till they showed me the reply email from the under writer, which I have a copy of. This might vary from state to state so best to ck locally.

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

MyState Farm truck policy covers the camper too but they did add the camper price to the truck price so the vehicle value increased.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

USAA is what I have, and they cover a canopy, camper, our anything the truck hauls in the bed. I was skeptical so asked them to show me in the policy where it says that, and they did! It's right there, so the bank who helped me finance part of the cost of the camper made a copy of the policy. That's all they required...

My advice - always tell them your hauling it, and get coverage for replacement in writing!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

x2 on USAA coversage and it's provided at no additional cost.

#8 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

I went through this recently with Erie Insurance.  In my case, I was asked to provide a serial number and approximate value. The camper is considered an accessory to the truck (I'm told) and there was no additional cost for it.

After reading this thread I have my agent getting more specifics from the underwriter (thanks!)

(Erie is a provider in 11 eastern states)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#9 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

When I bought my FWC called state farm (my truck ins) and camper is not covered as part of my truck insurance (not sure about other ins companies).  You will need to set up a policy, was very easy, and not expensive...did it with SF.  You do not need to insure it...but better safe than sorry.

My agent told me I did not need to let them know, I actually had to specifically ask if they could insure it.  Had to send pictures and proof of purchase/receipt...FWC website was helpful to them as well...  Easy to describe a FWC when on truck and in person, but over the phone hard to explain what it is.

State farm told me the opposite. It is covered. I am in california and my agent confirmed it with them twice (in writing). 

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

My loan and insurance are through USAA.  The camper is covered with my truck at no added cost and is covered on or off the truck. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users