• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Sledawg

Sledawg

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:06 AM

Kilroy
Good info. Reviewed my USAA policy and confirmed it is reflected on policy. Concur with your experience with USAA. Always been good to me. Hope I don't have to use them for my FWC. Clipped the mailbox at the post office the other day with my rear jack mount...FWC won! Won't mention that to USAA.
2021 Off Road TACOMA 2013 FWC Fleet
Going Insane Diego!

#22 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:34 PM

I wanted to take a few minutes and add to this topic in hopes to help another WTW member or two out as they read through the threads. A couple of people said it best earlier then they said to get it in writing.

Here is the official USAA word so if you have others, YMMV.

When you look at my policy below, you'll see the declarations page has my tundra listed, and also highlighted at near the bottom you will see the camper added to this page of the policy. (that will become more important as you review the text/legal-jargon of the policy)
gallery_2969_423_218744.jpg

Next as you review the coverages on your policy, amid all the legal-jargon, you'll see what the insurance company will (and will not) pay for in the event of a collision. Here in section D, it outlines what USAA will not pay for:
gallery_2969_423_501206.jpg

And in my policy it lists "camper bodies" under one item that they won't pay, with one caveat being if it's listed on the declarations page:
gallery_2969_423_651069.jpg

So what I'm trying to highlight here is to make sure you have all the requisites completed with your company prior to hitting the road. With USAA they have a "Four Wheel Camper" listed as the make, and "Hawk" listed as the model, with a $20,000 cash replacement value identified and a 'loss-payee' listed for who will be claimant in the event of a loss.

USAA defines any canopy and camper (camper body) as something that is affixed to the bed of the truck (excluding 5th wheel RV campers) and is 100% covered at full-replacement cash value and zero additional cost to the policyholder. I'm seeing that my premiums are a little higher likely due to this and the truck being two years newer, although the purchase prices of the two cars were both under $30K each for values - so they are fairly similar valued vehicles. Not sure how they calculate these rates. (maybe Al Gore taught them some "fuzzy math" for calculating our rates).

For me, I'm a happy camper and have really appreciated the service I've received from USAA throughout my military career. Even with a couple of claims, they have always treated me right, and my rates are fair - even with an 18 year old boy still in the house. Hopefully our rates will go down a little when he ships off to college in the fall...

I hope this helps someone out further.

Edit: fix a spelling error and to comment on section D,3 above that USAA won't cover my truck or camper in the event of a zombie apocalypse, so I hope they (along with any insurrection or revolution) are kept to a minimum!

Good thing you posted this.  I went into my USAA policy and found nothing about my camper.  I have my camper loan with USAA and set up the insurance for the camper over the phone.  The day before we left to pick up the camper in Wisconsin I called and they pulled the file and reconfirmed that the camper was insured as part of my truck, on or off, at no additional charge.  Wow! I've technically been without insurance since 8/1/2014.  I called this morning and they took care of this with a big apology.  Since I was told that they had a record and had it pulled up when I called to say I was picking the camper up in a couple of days, I would hope that there would have been proof if something happened.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#23 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

Added the camper to our AAA policy for $140 per year. I would follow Stan's advice. Initially they told me as long as its bolted to the truck its covered but they assume it was  basic camper shell and not a $20K pop up camper

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#24 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:05 AM

+1 for USAA. 

No additional cost to premium.  USAA did increase the value of my truck with the installation of the camper.

Likewise, I was intially concerned.  Getting something for free didn't make sense.  So I sent USAA pictures and a copy of my receipt.  They replied that they simply boost the value of the insured vehicle to reflect the slide-in camper.

I was still perplexed, and ask for a letter detailing coverage of my F-250 with temporarily installed camper.  The value of the camper is adequately reflected in the policy.

Traveling to Mexico...

If insured by USAA, USAA recommends using The BRAVO agency, located in Laredo, Texas.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#25 bnf3

bnf3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSacramento/Lone Pine

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

I insured my 2015 Hawk through Nationwide for $126/year, replacement value, $2500 deductible.

#26 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

State Farm here as well.  I have a "rider" on the truck policy for the camper and when off the truck it's covered under my homeowners. The S&S hardside I had was the same way.  Never saw an increase in cost.  Gave the agent the goofy serial number and explained what it was along with the FWC website.  No problem.  Been with the same agent for 25 years and he knows me and my lifestyle.    

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#27 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

This topic got me thinking,and at my age that's a good thing.

Just checked my insurance renewal and couldn't find a word about the camper.

As it turns out when I changed from the Ford Ranger to The Toyota Tundra.the insurer didn't carry over the camper.

Just had that taken care of. Feel better now knowing before our next trip it's covered.

This site has proven to be a great help.Glad we have it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

I also have State Farm, but discovered that the camper is only covered when on the truck or removed and on my own property. I'm going to be looking for a policy from another insurer that will cover it on or off the truck regardless of location.

I am haunted by waters

#29 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:04 PM

Same for me in that it is on my truck insurance as a rider and on my home insurance when stored i garage ... in my State the camper does not need a plate...hence the separation. mine is nearly $200 for the year replacement cost with $1000 deductible.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#30 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

In my state campers under a certain weight don't require tags or even titles and mine is insured as a part of my truck, although we did bump up the truck value accordingly.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users