• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:02 AM

Thanks Bigfoot for a nice review.  Does anyone know if Marc lets customers choose to have less options?  What I mean is to build up the camper for weekending with occasional vacation instead of an "expedition" build.  For example use a smaller fridge, water tank, and batteries.  Does he let the customer finish off build outs themselves?  Does Marc offer a shell version?

Talk to him.  I briefly discussed with him a stripped-down version of the V-2 but my list of changes and deletions was a very long one which would have required him to find new vendors for things like single-pane windows, gas struts instead of hydraulic lift, etc.  At some point the work required to meet a customer's special desires is not justified by the price the customer wants to pay.  But I did not get the feeling that he was entirely opposed to, say, leaving off some of the amenities for a reduction in price.

#12 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Bigfoot for a nice review.  Does anyone know if Marc lets customers choose to have less options?  What I mean is to build up the camper for weekending with occasional vacation instead of an "expedition" build.  For example use a smaller fridge, water tank, and batteries.  Does he let the customer finish off build outs themselves?  Does Marc offer a shell version?

XPCamper is an evolving business so no sure answer. Every build is custom to some degree. I think a lot depends on timing, how much patience and money you have, and how interested they are in your project. Pluses for gnarly expedition mods. Deleting stuff... not so much. 

For us they seemed very accommodating in the beginning and open to almost any idea, but after a year the design became relatively inflexible. Negative to a bed extension instead of under bed storage. Negative to slide out stairs in the flat bed instead of the storage tray. Negative to a small refrigerator. Negative to a custom compartment for skis although they seemed eager to figure out a way to carry an extra tire and recovery gear. 

The best bet for a custom build may be the V4 cube of which there is one example. It has no cab-over which both simplifies the construction and increases design flexibility. It is intended to mount directly to a subframe, no flat bed. Supposedly it can be sized to fit any truck and the layout is up to you. I think a shell would be possible. 

The V4 sounded interesting when the V2 did not work out. However, I could not get guidance from them on basic parameters such as appliance dimensions, bed and dinette options, and the best location for plumbing and electrical. It sounded like it would be a long process with an uncertain outcome. And they wanted my truck for a couple of months. You might have better results. The company may be more up to speed by now. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#13 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

Saw my first V2 besides the prototype in Bend yesterday. Washington plates. It looks like the one featured on XPCamper's website. I bet it was on the way to the NW Overland Rally that starts tomorrow. They should have left a box of brochures on the hood because people were stopping to gawk at it. 

gallery_4486_837_388160.jpg

I know of another V2 build on a Toyota Tacoma with a Hilux D4 diesel conversion--that must have been expensive! 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users