• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:52 AM

Never having owned a camper before, I am curious about camping when the temps drop into the 20's. Are the water tank and plumbing insulated? Will anything freeze or is the furnace enough to keep things liquid? Any good rules of thumb for when it is truly too cold to have water in the system? I expect I will have many 20-25 degree nights, but warm days (50s) here in CO and Four Corners.

#2 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:01 AM

you should not have any problems with the water tank itself and the furnace should keep your water lines clear however when you travel in that cold weather your line will freeze becouse your furnace will be off while you drive so yes i would recomend a good wrap around the lines and pump. fortunatly they are small systems and this would be a small job. duct wrap and duct tape would be my choice.
marty

#3 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

This is one question that has come up from time to time from customers and suprisingly I have never had a customer call me and say that their water lines froze up in a camper. To be honest I would expect to hear it from time to time in the colder states.

I know a couple of customers claim they used some type of antifreeze in the system that they purchased from a camping store. I assume it was drinkable or they just used the water supply to wash dishes. I never did research the antifreeze myself.

Marty's suggestion of wrapping the water line should work well enough though. Any Home Depot or supply store like them should have the foam pipe wrap that you can use. If you take off the front of the cabinet, which should only be a couple of screws, you should be able to trace the water line all the way back to the tank and be able to wrap it.

Sincerely,
Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users