112 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:08 AM

Worse is when you shifted position under the truck exposing a sock and that one ball of slag finds it's way into the opening at the top of your high-topped work boots.....

Must admit that I expected a more esoteric or wooden boat oriented adhesive than Gorilla Glue!

You're braver than I, that's for sure. I've done wood work, but it's far from my forte.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Worse is when you shifted position under the truck exposing a sock and that one ball of slag finds it's way into the opening at the top of your high-topped work boots.....

Must admit that I expected a more esoteric or wooden boat oriented adhesive than Gorilla Glue!

You're braver than I, that's for sure. I've done wood work, but it's far from my forte.

Gorrila Glue is a waterproof Polyurethane and makes and extremely strong, waterproof bond.  I really like it for anything that is going to see weather and lots of jostling.  For cabinetry/furniture, I use good old regular wood glue.

I'm not afraid of doing any type of work really.  I have a very well set up shop with all the tools needed, a full weld shop as well as a full wood working shop.  I even have a CNC mill and lathe if I need to make custom parts.

I own my own business and use these tools regularly to build/repair equipment.  I'm the type of guy who'd rather build something than buy it already made.  It is usually both cheaper in the long run, and I really enjoy doing it :)

This camper will be going on my new (to me) F350 that I recently did a full engine rebuild on. (if you are interested, my full engine rebuild can be found here:  http://advrider.com/...d.php?t=1019305 )

This was how my truck looked a couple months ago, needless to say, I don't mind getting a little dirty :D

build-23_zpsa5808d69.jpg

#13 Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I finished up redoing the plumbing and wiring on the drivers side, then I installed new plywood.

camper-build-11_zpse0vfhwqp.jpg

camper-build-12_zpsluysygzi.jpg

Now that the frame is narrowed to fit in my truck, I'll be starting on redoing the interior.  After that is finished, I'll repair the drivers side aluminum (the previous owner said the camper slid off the jack and had the side punctured), then repaint the outside.

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

It's fun to watch a project fly along.  You are making great progress.  I'd still be marking my first cut  :P .

It will be interesting to see if your finishing skills equal your construction skills.

Awesome work so far!

#15 Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

It's fun to watch a project fly along.  You are making great progress.  I'd still be marking my first cut  :P .

It will be interesting to see if your finishing skills equal your construction skills.

Awesome work so far!

Thanks!

As far as my finishing skills, I admit, I am no boat builder or fine cabinet maker.  I WILL be doing a full rebuild on the interior though.  At this point I don't know what floor plan I want to go with exactly.  I'm debating on having a fold down side bench, or making that area into a side dinette. 

This is my first camper, so I really have no idea what the ideal floor plan/cabinet setup would be.

I wish there was a place (or thread) with links to all the builds/remodels done to these.  I've found a few on my own, but it would be nice to have one place to look at all of them.

#16 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

My guess is you will have no issues building your interior.

Seeing you are basically starting with a shell.  I suggest you look at rnks shell build.

http://www.wanderthe...wk-shell-build/

I like how it is simple, yet versatile.

If you want to go all out, look at Bill Harr's build.

http://bill-veronica....ca/p/buil.html

There is no perfect floor plan, everything you add comes with compromise (space/weight).

You will be mounting your FWC on an F350, so weight is not an issue.  Space saving is going to be the big thing.

If you want to keep everything in the camper at all times lean towards Bill's build

If you want to travel light and carry a few totes, lean towards rnks build.

#17 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

Just read your engine build thread, great job. I have not done that in years. AdvRider is a great site. Looking forward to your camper coming together. 

Bill Harr

old Flattrack Racer. 

#18 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

FWIW I wasn't critiquing the use of Gorilla Glue, just commenting that so often the obvious is eschewed for the esoteric. The "it's wood and outside, therefore we must use a marine wood glue" mentality. And lest anyone think I'm poking fun at them, I'm not. I'm actually poking fun at me!

Edited by ntsqd, 13 April 2015 - 03:47 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#19 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:16 AM

eschewed

Gesundheit.

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

458 views. I think more than a few are wondering if they could attempt the same. I'm still debating if I want to add another vent! Fun to watch the build even if I'll never try anything like that myself.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users