34 replies to this topic

#31 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:17 AM

Thanks Walt.  Good to hear from someone who has decades of experience foraging for fungi.   It's a fun hobby with culinary benefits, and hopefully not gastronomical events!  

Things are starting to happen in the foothills.  I found a tree last year with mostly old oyster mushrooms running up the trunk.  It sits in a damp creek bottom with brush and deadfall with a year round creek at it's feet.  The bottom mushrooms had already turned, but we knocked off some of the highest ones which were still good.   They were excellent eating and I've kept my eye on that tree ever since.

Babies on downed log

Pleurotus-9931-L.jpg

Climbing the tree

Pleurotus-9936-L.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#32 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:37 AM

Hey there... just into the mushroom thing a few years back and though I grow them on Oak logs here at the farm I have only this year felt 'safe' (knowledgeable) to pick natural shrooms this last year. I saw this article in the computer on Flip from the New Yorker and thought to post as well as a shot of some of the shiitake logs against the barn.

http://www.newyorker...r-in-fungi-2015

Attached Files

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#33 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:45 AM

Wow, it's time to wake up this thread!

Here in the NorCal foothills it has rained 9" this month.

Last year we had even more rain and it was a bountiful year for boletes, aka porcini.

I found them all around town under oak leaves, madrone and ponderosa duff.

So, we've been checking our spots about once a week and haven't seen much.  

I found a furry chanterelle, but those are not good to eat, so not much excitement, until today.

I took a short walk on a hillside that produced well last year and found a couple of young coccora, or calyptroderma.

These are amanitas and not for beginners.  They are highly prized in Italy and immigrants who came over with the gold rush era have been harvesting them.  Friends who are fifth generation residents learned about coccoras from them.

2017-11-21%2015.26.48-XL.jpg

I continued my quick walkabout and also found a "butter bolete", likely a butyriboletus persolidus.  I plan to slice and dry this one.

I just used some of last years dried porcini to make a nice wild mushroom gravy which will come with us for our Thanksgiving trip to the East Side.   :D  :D  :D

2017-11-21%2015.39.55-2-XL.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#34 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:25 AM

Very, very nice! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#35 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 April 2022 - 12:16 AM

Saw this and though some of you shroom hunters might want to see

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users