#1 CamperDave

CamperDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:56 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to pop up campers, and I have just finished retrofitting my newly acquired 2005 FWC Eagle onto my 2014 F-150 Supercrew. To fit above the bedrails I constructed a 6" tall spacer frame of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood. In order to clear the truck bed and 6" riser, I need to jack the camper up 41". I would like to find a way that I could keep the camper in this raised position when unloading because I feel jacking the camper up and down each time for load/unload puts a lot of stress on the camper frame and it takes just too long. But as I have read, you need to support the base of the camper if you want to use it on the jacks with the lightweight FWC campers. 

So here is what I would like to try. I would like to attach the 6" riser platform to the camper base semi-permanently by using eye hooks mounted to the riser frame and attaching to the turnbuckle hooks on the camper. Then I would like to attach stabilizer jacks to the riser platform to put down when the camper is not attached to the truck. These stabilizer jacks would need to be about 36" tall so that I would not have to jack the camper up and down (36"+6" riser gives me the 41" of clearance I need). 

Is this possible to do while keeping the camper that high off the ground? What types of jacks should I use? I looked around and there are pyramid looking manual jacks, 30" tall scissor jacks, and camper slide out stabilizer jacks that go longer than 40"...everything else is much shorter.

Photo Apr 16, 3 41 41 AM
Photo Apr 15, 10 51 17 PM
Photo Apr 18, 2 46 00 PM
Photo Apr 18, 2 45 40 PM
Photo Apr 16, 12 42 40 AM
Photo Apr 18, 2 50 23 PM

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

#2 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:08 AM

Is this just for storage or are you anticipating using the camper while it is off the truck? For storage purposes, I would just make some sturdy sawhorses to put under the camper/riser platform once it is off the truck. Using the turnbuckles to hold the riser platform in place seems like it would work.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#3 CamperDave

CamperDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

I would like to use it for both. I like the idea of sawhorses (it is easiest/cheapest), but the issue is that saw horses only work on level ground. I would like a solution that would work in any situation (meaning the legs would be adjustable to compensate for non level ground).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC Eagle, Stabilize, Jacks, riser, lift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users