#1 SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:54 AM

Alright, here goes.  I hope you guys have fun with this one.  I currently have a Ram 2500 4 door long bed with a 2013 grandby shell installed full time.  I love the rig, but am considering an upgrade.  Here is where I keep getting in arguments with myself.  I love the space of the ram.  I took the 3/4 bench out of the backseat and built a platform for the two dogs to spread out on while traveling.  I like not having to worry about payload and weight, or sacrificing power, etc. At 6'9", I like having elbow room both in the camper, and in the truck.  Our little crew of four is quite comfy in the truck.   I hate that the official length measurement with the hitch mounted bike rack on is just shy of a billion feet.  I'm not a huge fan of averaging 13 mpg with diesel fuel.  I'm not fond of parking in Denver as my daily driver.  

So, after convincing myself that I don't actually want to drop an absurd amount of money on either a used earthroamer, or a Tiger, I'm thinking the next iteration of our setup is going to be a flatbed FWC, and this is where the internal debate fires up.

I can put a ute bed on the dodge, and get the grandby flatbed.  That thing has a ridiculous amount of space in it.  This would be the most cost effective option since my truck is paid for.  

OR...I could order a 2016 chevy colorado with the new little diesel motor and a Ute bed installed from the dealer and put a flatbed fleet on it.  The littler truck would be much easier to tool around town, as well as being a little more maneuverable on tight trails.  I'd sacrifice quite a bit of room.  I'd also be pushing the comfortable limits of overloading gvwr/payload ratings.  Has anyone made the move from big to little or little to big?  Any other considerations I should mull over?  

Attached Thumbnails

• truck moab.jpg

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 cummins. 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.  2013 Grandby Silver Spur Shell. 

#2 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:03 AM

how about keeping your current set up and getting a smaller pickup or car as your daily driver. Probably the most economical option, will save you the most in fuel costs and you will escape the hassle of driving with a camper full time.
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:07 AM

At 6'9" you need to stay big. 

#4 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:00 AM

Any other considerations I should mull over?  

You should consider selling me your Grandby so I can put it on my Ram 2500!  (Seriously.)

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#5 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

how about keeping your current set up and getting a smaller pickup or car as your daily driver.

Years ago, I was driving an F250 Crew cab around. 30 mile round trip to work, kids to soccer, 12 mpg at best, and like your ram, just a bit shy of a billion feet long. I bought a used compact car (But, I'm a full foot shorter than SeldomSeen), got 20+ mpg, seems like the fuel cost difference paid for the part-time insurance on my pickup.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#6 llavaseur

llavaseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationHazel Park, Michigan

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

I would never consider downsizing from my Silverado 3500 Crew, Long Bed (with grandby shell) as my camping, traveling vehicle. Around town  I seek out parking spots that are far away from other parked cars (don't want the car door dings) so size doesn't matter as far as trying to park. I do have a  Camaro SS that I drive only in the summers and this is only because I leave the camper loaded on the truck from spring to fall.

#7 liftedlimo

liftedlimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, wa

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

13mpg?! I'm in a 2013 ram 3500 4x4 6.7 and I get 18-20mpg with my new keystone. I'm building a new fairing to try and bump it up to 22mpg.

I have an older 4x4 BMW car for a downtown parking. You can get them for 6-8k now. Also the motorcycles are fun commuters.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by liftedlimo, 18 May 2015 - 04:06 PM.

#8 Vento

Vento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

I was thinking the same thing. 13mpg seems bad, I have an 06 and gets high teens and clears 20 on the freeway if I am real nice to it.

#9 JacintoKid

JacintoKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

My 07.5 Ram 3500 was the first year with the 6.7. I drove it 90K miles before I traded it last year. Loaded, with my Arctic Fox 990 (4500 lbs wet), I got 9-11 mpg. Empty on the highway, I got about 13 or 14. Empty, in town it was back down to about 10mpg. However, at 6'9", I would definitely stick with a full sized truck.

#10 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

2014 2500 Ram short bed with 6.7.  Just got back from a trip and let the computer do the work.  Fully loaded camper and gear (minus water in the tank), by myself and I averaged 18 mpg.  But I did baby it and drove slow.  My 2008 6.7 didn't get as good but 13 seems a bit low. 

I've noticed with diesel motors there is a huge difference between 55 mph and 65 mph on the fuel economy.

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users