13 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

Please use this thread for discussions on both post processing techniques and the software that is available or being used.

I am haunted by waters

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

I'd wager the large majority of photographers here use Adobe products for their post. Not me. I abandoned Adobe a decade ago because they treated me badly and I didn't like the direction they were going. Around that time some good alternatives popped up which I have been using ever since. One of them, Aperture, has unfortunately been dropped by Apple so I have had to look elsewhere. Apple's new app, Photos, is nowhere near capable enough for what I do. 

After test driving several alternatives to Aperture, I settled on Capture One Pro. It's a great raw processor--perhaps the best around--and an excellent image editor. It even imports Aperture libraries with most of the organization and adjustments intact. So, I probably won't contribute much to this forum unless someone has a Capture One (C1) question, although I will keep an eye out for discussions about Nik, Photo Mechanic, Pixelmator and Affinity Photo which I use. And I will enjoy seeing what others come up with. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have a camera capable of shooting raw but do not use that because I still don't have a program that will even open those files, let alone do post processing. Any suggestions for a beginner program that is either free or fairly reasonably priced?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

I have a camera capable of shooting raw but do not use that because I still don't have a program that will even open those files, let alone due post processing. Any suggestions for a beginner program that is either free or fairly reasonably priced?

For Nikon for free, Nikon's View NX 2 allows some manipulation of Nikon RAW/NEF files.  That is, it allows you to manipulate settings that are only available in RAW files.

And it allows you to then convert and save them in other formats, such as jpeg.

For more than free you can do better...but for free can't hurt to try.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

Start with the free software that comes with your camera.  I started out using the Canon software and it helped show me the advantages that raw had.  You'll know when it's time to move up to something more sophisticated.   

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:31 PM

If you don't mind using an older version Adobe Elements can be had reasonably. I have version nine, think its up to 13 now. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:27 AM

The only concern with one of the older versions of any of the different software is whether they can read a newer RAW file.  The Nikon or Canon software that came with the camera obviously would and I would bet they maintain updates so even if you started with an older version, it could be brought up to what ever your camera puts out.  The Elements and Lightroom software will only go so high per version, forcing you to buy the next step inline if you upgrade your camera.

I personally use Lightroom for 98%, it's a great way to manage all the files and add keywords, etc, also mapping.  Of course, now everything is moving to subscription based "cloud" services.  Hey, it's only too much a month to begin with, then gets more expensive as you go.  As it's not likely I will upgrade my body for some time (camera, and any other body I have), I really don't need to move up to their wonderful monthly charge till then.  Some of the newer capabilities would be nice, but honestly, I need a lot of learning to use what I got already.  Plus it just keeps that upgrade river flowing, more capabilities = a computer that can handle more, etc.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#8 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:02 AM

I have a camera capable of shooting raw but do not use that because I still don't have a program that will even open those files, let alone due post processing. Any suggestions for a beginner program that is either free or fairly reasonably priced?

Depends on the camera and your computer system, but as noted the manufacturer's software will do the basics. If you use a Mac, Apple's OS X has built-in raw conversion and the included Photos app provides moderate editing capabilities. ACDSee Mac Pro is a relatively cheap (currently $30) and capable raw photo editor. Google's Picasa will convert raw files but edits the jpeg version which defeats the purpose of shooting raw. Finally, there are some free advanced photo apps such as GIMP but they are complex and take time to learn. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:52 AM

This review is a couple of years old but may give you some ideas on other available photo editing sw.

http://www.dpreview....arent-photoshop

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

iPhoto (now Photos) and Pixelmator ($35 poor mans version of Photoshop for the Mac).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users