8 replies to this topic

#1 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

I know this topic has been beat to death, but need some advice and I always turn to this forum. 

I have had two Norcold 3-way, N-300's. First one lasted about 4 years, the second about 2 years.  The problem is really using the camper on the backroads, mainly 3's and sometimes class 4's roads.  Now I pull a Jeep and make camp at lower elevation.  But I have lost refrigerant in both cases, they just won't take the vibration. The second time just driving on washboard roads.

I like using gas. I have two batteries, two solar panels, but also use a lot of juice, microwave, satellite radio and tv,, computer etc. I guess my question is Norcold, Dometic or .....? I ran into a RV repair guy that said they have had better luck using Pines replacement guts for the Norcold's, but I'm not having much luck in getting information on the old Inter-web about these. Contacted 4 wheel Campers and they said they are now using Dometic's in new builds, is because they're constructed better or just cost less?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Funstini

#2 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

This probably won't help, but I'll tell you anyway.  I had a 1997 Dometic 1.9 CF in my first FWC.  Manual light, wouldn't run in the slightest breeze, was a PITA.  Had a 6 CF Dometic model in my Bigfoot that worked flawlessly,parked, while driving, in any circumstances, as well as my home fridge.  I think the newer ones work a lot better because of the elctronics, plus in my hardside there was a proper vertical heat chimney for the thing to function as designed.  I think baffling and a fan should be added to a FWC side-exhaust install, plus never leave it parked off-level while operating, to avoid cystalization of the coolant.

I never gave any thought to an absorbtion fridge in my newest camper - I did the compressor fridge and all the research and expense of solar, to keep me from having to worry about it.  So far I feel like I made the right decision, for my own circumstances.

I haven't read anything I find to be credible that would say Dometic is more durable than Norcold, or vice versa.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#3 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

My Dometic is a couple plus years old but I'm almost full time. Flawless operation, set to automatic and forget about it. AC when available and gas the balance of time. Never use DC, it's worthless and don't know why they have it, but don't need it. My use has been two trips to BC and once to AK. I've used coastal WA and all over OR, CA and NV. From hot and dry Death Valley to humid cold coastal PNW. I'm not full time but close to it. Freeze fish in BC and stays nice for a couple of months. I always keep Popsicles in freezer to monitor box temp to see it they deform and never had it happen. Everyone talks about leveling being a problem and it isn't. I'd never sleep out of the level spec. And it isn't a problem finding a place to park inside that spec either. The leveling issue is a straw man argument as far as I'm concerned. External fan is advised. I did have a bearing go bad on that and replaced it for 15 bucks.

#4 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

Still looking into the idea. I guess loosing refrigerant happens no matter what mode your using. External fan, is that like my Norcold has the button for turning on a fan to circulate the air?  I guess one of the Dometic family is pretty much the same size as my Norcold and should just drop in ......... yeah right, that's easy to say.  Do you suggest having the work done?  I've been told if I do it myself, that  it will void the warranty?

Thanks 

#5 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

The fan I speak of is the option that FWC offers. It is basically a little computer fan as a helper to circulate air when in direct sunlight and still conditions. If the wind is blowing or not extremely hot it does not need to be run. I replaced mine with one purchased off the shelf at Radio Shack. I have traveled lots of washboards for days on end. So far so good. Conversations like this are the kiss of death.

Warranties never seem to work for me. It seems like stuff happens outside of them and or away from whoever did it.

#6 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

I almost always travel washboard roads and I have not had any issues (nock on wood). If I am parked temporarily on a very u level position I turn off the fridge. I also keep it as full as possible .... With beer. It does warm a little when it direct sulight. My is a 2010. I like the 3 way as it does not use any gas or or battery relatively speaking.

Also it hard to justify spending 3000dollars on solar, fridge and battery for a small truck camper to go camping.

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

Not sure if this will help with any of your questions ?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 Funstini

Funstini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Stan.

Very informative video.  I noticed that you guys are using the Dometic, instead of the Norcold, why is that?  My problem is losing the refrigerant, is one more durable than the other? How about the 2-way versus the 3-way, is one more durable, do they both use ammonium for refrigerant? About the same size, I can replace my large Norcold with the Dometic fairly easily?  

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the video Stan.Very good info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users