• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

The rally last year at Meadow Lake was a lot of fun for most, Ted had some noisy neighbors in the middle of the night. 

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

I have not heard of any plans. We would be hard pressed to find a lake with water or a river flowing later this year. Several people mentioned the coast as a next location. I don't know of any boondock locations on the coast, especially large enough for multiple rigs. I did look into group sites at established parks but they either were walk in or had just a small area for parking and are set up for tenters.

Westport Union is first come/first served. We have had some quiet weekends there and some crowded ones, so hard to predict. Not a lot of opportunities for other activities there either.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

Not to early to start looking for a spot. Coast or Sierra are both good but will be a dry camp in CA this year. 

This might be a good place for WTW members to put up suggestions.

#4 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

There are a few campgrounds along the north coast, north of Orick, CA.  Google Gold Bluffs Beach Campground-California State Parks.  This campground, Gold Bluffs is on a "first" come, first serve basis.  About 25 sites, no hookups, right on the beach, afternoon sun...$35.00/campsite.  A few miles to the north lies Elk Prairie Campground (reservations required) which is part of Prairie Creek State Park.  These campsites for most part within the Redwood trees.  Further north are Mill Creek and Jedediah Campgrounds...     

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:53 AM

We stayed at Mill Creek on a trip last year.Don't think anything up in

that area would have enough open sites.

The area fills up so fast.

There is Navarro river beach cg. Camp right on the beach.

Ted and Ski camped at a SP beach south of there a couple years ago.

Can't remember the name.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

The main problem of camping at most state CG's is the cost $25-35 or more a night & especially if you reserve or use the the group use area it's even more and you never really know how many people might be there at any one time. I've stayed allot at Westport-Union State CG at Rockport (the three different CG's are sometimes open and when it's empty I'll grin and bear it and pay the $23.00 fee, because it is a neat place but take a look at what happened to me the last time I was there in my latest  gallery post.s Another thought is to revisit the King Range are and the  BLM CG's like Matole Beach, and  the state CG(that costs $) at Ursal (no water) because you can stay on the beach for free!  Me thinks we get the best bang for the buck or no buck at most back country BLM,FS or FWS campgrounds! Yep it's never to early to throw out places!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:26 AM

I agree with you smoke....especially on the coast, the camping fees are ridiculously high.  I think 35 bucks for just camping is way too much.  Perhaps, camping fees, etc. would make good discussion/conversation sitting around a campfire sipping on good whiskey.  I like Bill's suggestion, the Sierra's as a rendezvous....more choices, BLM and National Forest land, more geographically friendly for most everyone interested in attending and warmer too.  Yes, it will be dry and hopefully off the beaten path, but then we have the campers that are build for such adventures.  Just my 2 cents. 

Also, FYI if you don't already know, those of us who are 62+ y/o may apply for a free lifelong entrance pass to all National Parks, State Parks (depending on state), USFS discounts (depending where you are), etc....The one time cost for this pass is $10-20.  You can apply at any NP, USFS Headquarters or on line.   

#8 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:41 AM

I took a drive today to the French Meadows area, could be a good spot for a rally. 

#9 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

I'd love to attend a rally over there while I'm on my trip. Do you guys have any dates in mind?
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#10 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

Just a suggestion, but McArthur Burney Falls State Park http://www.parks.ca....inalWeb2014.pdf has a large campground, some dispersed camping and a big group area.  It's central to a lot of members in NorCal and N. NV and it's close to Lassen Nat'l Park and Hat Creek for some side excursions and fly fishing...

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users