31 replies to this topic

#21 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:35 AM

Thank you both for the prompt replies! 

It sounds to me like neither of you is disappointed with Raw editing within Lightroom, but each of you finds it necessary to use other processing as well, either Photoshop or the Google Nik collection.

Since I am comfortable (almost) with Photoshop I will continue to use it. (but will research the Google/Nik products)  The decision I would like to make soon is whether to continue using Bridge/ACR for raw processing or to switch to Lightroom.  Lightroom does seem to have a couple of database tools that make identifying and locating images easier, but the advantage to Bridge/ACR is that I am familiar and comfortable with it.  So it is comforting to know that you each find the Lightroom raw processing to be acceptable.

The Sony I bought is not the latest and greatest:  It's the NEX-6 but it's late enough and great enough for me!  It provides me with a smaller, lighter alternative to my Canon 5D for carrying on my bicycle or in a backpack.

#22 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

My 2 cents; I quit using Bridge as soon as I started with LR as the organizational tools in LR are super powerful. 

I don't bother with different folders, all images are in one folder as I can search by date, keyword, camera, etc. When I was sorting by folders I was always frustrated that I couldn't have an image in 2 different folders. A folder is just a tag on a file anyway and a keyword handles that chore, and I can have multiple keywords on a file.

I also don't do collections much. Usually just Quick Collection for when I'm putting together a group of images to print.

As LR has gotten more advanced over the years I find I use PS less and less.

One catalog for everything.

And remember to not move files around outside of LR as it won't be able to find them if you move them without telling it.

It took me about 2 years to decide to like it as I've always had an aversion to import/export programs, but once I quit organizing by folder I discovered what a great program it is. My images are now more accessible than they've ever been.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#23 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

One tip on using LR, don't forget (or be too lazy sometimes like me) to keyword your images. Makes searching and building collections easy.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#24 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

One tip on using LR, don't forget (or be too lazy sometimes like me) to keyword your images. Makes searching and building collections easy.

Sometimes I forget, too. But fortunately one of the keyword search options is "none." So you can always go back and keyword images later. Also, it's easier if you sort by date as well, as most of the images shot on any particular day will want the same keyword.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#25 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

I had a company that wanted to use a image, it was one from years ago. It did not look familiar but wanted to update the editing and send them a updated JPEG. I searched using camera used, lens mm, shutter speed, date, and other search options Lightroom allows. Could not find it, until I searched my gals directory and snapped right up quickly. Then of course I was happy for her.....

Anyway keywords are great way to search if you know what you are looking for. Searching metadata information is also a great tool. You can look to see what lenses and at what mm you use the most. Many different sorting options. You can even call up all images that have no keyword and then add them. Lightroom has some good advantages as a database.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#26 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

I always import my photos into subfolders organize by date, makes browsing simpler for me, and I usually add some basic keywords on import.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#27 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:03 AM

I structure folder by year, then month with trip description, then broken down by day. Attached a example.

Attached Files

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:49 AM

I structure folder by year, then month with trip description, then broken down by day. Attached a example.

I do something similar. On my drive, I have folders by year. Each download is then identified by year, month, day, location or subject, the camera.

Example: 2015 12 14 Death Valley D810.

They order nicely that way, whether in Lightroom or Bridge.

I am haunted by waters

#29 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

Mine is more like:

Southwest

2015-01-01

2015-01-02

If I properly keyworded things and added titles and captions I probably wouldn't even need that much organization (at least for LR).  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#30 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

I have to admit my Lightroom organization is less than ideal but early on decided to set main folders by camera. I then do sub-folders by year and/or trip location/year.

I now have 3 main folders set by my Nikon D200 - D7000 - D600 progression and also main folders for various pt/sht rigs I drag around for quick shots of family/work/vacations, etc..

Keywording is always used to help with the nitty gritty of image searches.

Seems to work well for my needs.

Edited by CraggyMan, 27 December 2015 - 05:44 PM.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users