12 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:49 AM

This is photography-related -- for me -- because if it wasn't for processing ("developing", editing), photographic images I'd have a hard time justifying a powerful desktop computer. :P   Even then, it's not necessary -- it just works faster than a less-powerful computer. That said...

I built this computer, mostly in 2012, but just this weekend I moved the guts to a new, better, case and added a couple of minor improvements.  The 2012 build was the third generation of computer I've built for myself.

The occasion of a new computer case and the discussion here in The Photographers Forum of photographic processing inspired me to share this photography-related tool.

Here's a link to a list of the components of my "build": Build 2012-15

The processor is the biggest factor in making this computer suitable for heavy "computing", with "lots of RAM" a close second.  This processor is a second-generation Intel i7, so not the latest thing in 2015 (which is a 4th gen i7), but if I wanted faster I could easily overclock it -- I have enough cooling capacity in this build.

If you're using an image processing program that can multi-thread the job -- split the task over multiple processors (such as a quad-core with hypertheading, creating 8 logical processors) that really speeds up the task.  Most consumer software can't do this -- because it's not needed for most consumer uses.  The only time that I've been able to significantly benefit from multi-processor enabled software has been using panorama-creating software (Panorama Factory) as I described in this post, and HDR sofware running in batch mode.

Here's a screenshot of all 8 logical processors working on merging/blending 36 images into a 360° panorama, along with pics (not mine) of the front and back that most-important -- but hidden -- component, the CPU, an Intel Core i7-3820.

CPU-monitor-1.jpg              Attached File  Intel Core i7-3820.jpg   97.66K   6 downloads

Below is the main view of the inside of my new build -- with the left side of the case removed, showing the motherboard and most of the components connected to the motherboard.  

Build_2012-15_left.jpg

Below is a view of the "other side" with the right side of the case removed -- mostly just a mess of cable behind the motherboard, but shown because this case has an option for putting solid state drives (SSD) here, which I did.

Build_2012-15_right.jpg

Here's what the front of the case looks like with the door swung open for access to the optical drive and the hard drive docking slot.  The docking slot permits sliding in a bare hard drive for when I want to backup critical files to a drive that can be easily moved "off-site".

Build_2012-15_front2.jpg

The air-intake zone is covered with a dust filter, which is easy to remove when needed for cleaning.  This need is frequent in dusty Central Oregon.

Here's another perspective on the main "action" side of the computer, better-showing the giant CPU cooler.

Attached File  Build_2012-15_left-b.jpg   596.67K   5 downloads

This view also shows the bottom of the box, which is entirely perforated as another cooling-air entrance and covered with a dust filter, like the front.

Below are commercial/file photos (not mine) of the new shell of my computer -- the Fractal Design "Define R5" case.  This "Scandinavian designed and engineered" case is marketed as a "silent case".  Its walls are lined with sound-deadening material and the supplied fans are large-diameter which permits good airflow for cooling at lower RPM for quietness.

The Black Beauty! :)

Attached File  Fractal-Design_Define-R5-2.jpg   52.7K   6 downloads  Attached File  Fractal-Design_Define-R5-1.jpg   46.54K   6 downloads

I built my first computer back in 2007 because I couldn't configure a Dell computer (or any other) that had the combination of components that I wanted.  Like, if I wanted a powerful processor it was bundled with a hardcore gamer-level graphics card -- overkill for my needs (I don't game).  And it turned out I was able to build the exact computer I wanted for le$$ than if I bought a comparable machine from Dell or HP.

In the time since that first build in 2007, I've built a couple of more generations of computers as processors and storage media advanced, and I've built computers for a couple of friends of mine, too.

But, honestly, now I do it because I enjoy it -- it's fun to build something cool! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:57 AM

That's a serious build, Mark.  My iMac is feeling some envy.

I would love to have the rig at work where I do most of my heavy drafting and multi-tasking.

What sort of monitor arrangement are you using?

Nicely documented.  Thanks for sharing.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

Thanks, Andy.

The monitor I'm using is a Dell Ultrasharp U2410, which came out several years ago.  It's not pro-photog level, but when it came out it was very-highly rated.  Definitely good enough for my purposes, especially when calibrated.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

That's quite a beast. Well done.

I am haunted by waters

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

Ironically...it was this little guy -- a Windows tablet-laptop hybrid -- on which I ran Lightroom to process the photos of my big beast (which wasn't yet up and running at the time).

Attached File  Lenovo Miix 2 11.jpg   472.46K   4 downloads

But I'd never want to use this, my traveling computer, to process 36 images into a 360° panorama nor to batch-process 108 images into 36 HDR images to go into the panorama...

...Not unless I wanted to make and eat supper in the mean time. ;)

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,019 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

Nice build. Outdoes mine but I'm still happy enough with my performance I'm not ready to build a new one yet. Two ssd's. Man I'm starting to feel inadequate.

My brother opted to have a friend spec out his HP. I told him it didn't have enough ram. Every six months he threatened to toss it out the window. I'd say get more ram. Finally when he needed to use (job hunting and edd stuff) it he broke down and we purchased more ram. Now its usable. I told him.

Problem with building your own is you have to explain it over and over. What brand is it. Its homebuilt. Never heard of that brand. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:55 PM

Nice build.... 

....Two ssd's. Man I'm starting to feel inadequate.

... I told him it didn't have enough ram.....

Thanks, Craig.

I have two SSD because:

The one I bought in 2012 was very, very expensive (compared to spinning-disk HDs) so I could only afford a small one.  When the price dropped to merely very expensive I bought a bigger SSD.  So, since I have two I'm using both of them.  The second SDD, the smaller one, I'm using to hold all the data files for my NatGeo TOPO! state series, so that there's less lag (compared to disk HDs) for map data to be pulled up when panning across map borders.

When I've advised friends on how to make their computers run faster/better I've told them "Adding more RAM is the most cost-efficient way to improve your computer".

The 32GB of RAM in this machine is way more than I need -- the 16GB I started with was probably WAY plenty.  But when the same RAM as I had 16GB went on sale I bought 4 more 4GB sticks -- such a good price that I couldn't afford NOT to buy it...even if I didn't need it. ;)

By the way, I bought all (or nearly) of the components for my computer -- all my computers -- at Newegg.com.  While Amazon has great prices too, I prefer Newegg because they're NOT the Walmart of the Web.  Newegg has a great selection of computer/tech stuff, generally great prices, and the reviews of products on Newegg are mostly by folks who know what they're talking about -- hobbyists and computer geeks.

So, Craig, you built your computer?

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:58 PM

Great looking machine Mr. BC! Does it dim the lights in your house when you turn it on? :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,019 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

I use mostly newegg and Frys when I build mine. 

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Memory 16 GB Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

And a 119gb SSD (annoyingly full, how do you prevent stuff from filling yours up?) 1tb HD in a plain black case. Two or three years old now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

And a 119gb SSD (annoyingly full, how do you prevent stuff from filling yours up?) 1tb HD in a plain black case. Two or three years old now.

Craig, For one thing, my SDDs are quite a bit bigger -- see my component list for specs.

But besides that, I've changed the location for all the standard Windows data folders, e.g., Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. to one of the big and cheap spinning hard drives.  By default Windows sets those up on the same drive as the operating system...but that can be changed,  So, when i upload photos from my camera to my computer they go onto one of my spinning hard drives rather than onto the very expensive real estate of the SSDs.

Or are you already doing all that and are still finding your SDD filling?

All I have on my main SSD is the OS and the applications -- the things where speedy access is most noticeable.  Some applications may try to store data on the same drive as installed, but that can usually be changed, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users