• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:11 AM

Why are these so hard to find? My wife and I have 21 month old twins and are looking for something that will see us through off-road adventures for the next dozen or more years. It seems that this is the configuration that will allow us the most growing room as a family. The folks at FWC generously offered us a deal on a showroom model, but it had a cassette toilet we'd have to pay for and then rip out, and the solar would also need some demo and rebuilding. Even before modification, the discounted price would leave us no $$ for the kids' education fund. So we're left perusing Craigslist and looking longingly at the empty bed of our "new" used Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Fortunately we've got access to some friends' air stream so for the time being we've got a good alternative as long as we keep to main roads, but we'd love to de-hitch and get out for some real adventure camping soon!
- Dave

Edited by DoGMAtix, 07 July 2015 - 04:29 AM.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#2 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

The front dinettes have only been out a few years so there's probably not a lot of them out there especially on the used market.

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#3 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

We've only been looking for about a month so far, but that's our impression. I suppose we may end up settling for a roll over couch model if we find one at a good price with the features we want (fridge, furnace, solar plug in, fantastic fan and extra vent, hot water/ outdoor shower are "must-haves;" thermal pack and awning would be nice but not necessary), and then we'll just deal with space issues as the kids grow up.

Fortunately we're in no rush, but we're also well aware how quickly the good ones tend to go...

#4 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:09 AM

The front dinettes have only been out a few years so there's probably not a lot of them out there especially on the used market.

Bingo . . .

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#5 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:12 AM

Never mind. We just bought a Hallmark Guanella (used 2008 in great shape), saved over $10K vs a similarly equipped front dinette Grandby and it looks like the Hallmark will actually fit our needs better.

#6 WASURF63

WASURF63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, USA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:28 AM

To the OP. See updated Used Pop Up Truck Camper Alert...

http://seattle.craig...5197084438.html

2019 F250 CC 4WD

2020 FWC Hawk 

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:42 AM

To the OP. See updated Used Pop Up Truck Camper Alert...

http://seattle.craig...5197084438.html

Only the second shell front dinette I have seen. The other was in a Hawk shell I purchased.

#8 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up. This is the first front dinette grandby I've seen used. I'm not sure we could function without a sink and hot water, but I guess that arrangement worked for somebody. Knock on wood we're no longer looking for a camper - on our way up to Denver this week to pick up the Guanella.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users