13 replies to this topic

#1 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

I'm looking at this truck. It has a payload of 1575 lbs and the bed is 66.7" (is that 5', 6.7"?)

Anyways, how realistic is this for a four wheel camper. I'd really like to get a Hawk, anyone do that with tailgate down?  Payload isn't good, but it does have almost 14" disc brakes.

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:04 AM

I have a 2010 Tundra Double cab with a 2014 Hawk on board. I added Firestone Ride Rite air bags and a Helwig rear anti sway bar. A fully loaded Hawk is about 1500 lbs dry weight. 1400 with the jacks removed. You will be over the payload limit after you add towels, camera gear and coffee. 

If you are starting fresh, consider a 2500 or 3500 series truck and rest easy. The add ons to make you feel better about exceeding the payload cost more than the price difference between a 1/2 ton and the bigger trucks. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Frosty_1

Frosty_1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

I have to agree with Paul.  I've owned a 2012 Tundra, and now have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD.  Handling is much better with the 3/4 Ton and I don't have to worry about over packing...I love the Tundra's and think I got my LTZ 2500 cheaper than a similar fully loaded Limited Tundra...

f.

#4 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:55 AM

x3

Stop looking at 1/2 tons and set your sites on 3/4 tons.

Loaded you'll be way over your max payload.

My Hawk and stuff comes in at over a ton on the scales.

Buy the right tool for the job at hand.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

Love my 2005 Tundra. Looking at a new truck and it will be a 3/4 ton. I sure wish Toyota made a 3/4 Tundra.

#6 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Man it's a bummer, I really like this truck, and I am trying to get a compromise for a daily driver.  I'm looking at the 2015 F150 too, and there is a payload package that gives it 2,010 lbs payload and that's with a crewcab/6.5 bed.  I'd probably even be borderline even with that right?  If I was being practical, I'd buy an old 3/4 ton and a car, but I really would like a new 1/2 ton

#7 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

My 2005 Tundra is good enough for my camper. But Some guys will say go 3/4 ton. Then others will say nothing less than a 1 ton. Then others will say 1 ton with duel's  and a diesel.  But this argument has been dragged on a BUNCH of times here. If my 2005 with a lighter load rating and a smaller motor handles it fine I am sure that the one you posted about should do fine. But I would rather drive a Tundra than push a ford, chevy, or dodge.   ;)

#8 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

Every truck is a compromise. On my truck purchase I compromised about 800 LBS payload for a 1or 2 MPG advantage on a smaller V8, 5.3 vs 6.0+ standard on 2500 and 3500 trucks. Was it the right choice? Time will tell.

#9 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

i must say, i had my hawk, fairly loaded with options, on a 02 tundra for years. air bags and add a leafs in the suspension. was pretty decent combination, fairly nimble, not to heavy etc. down shifted alot on mtn passes (i live in CO) and wound out rpm wise alot. brakes were adequate, drive it like an older car (i restore vintage autos/motorbikes). gas milage was terrible, 8 was the worst, 13 was the best, average 10-11. i love my tundra, and still have it (gets 20mpg with out the camper)

but a couple weeks ago we upgrade trucks to a 15 Ram 2500 crew cab 6.4L. we wanted more space for another dog is the main reason, but always kind of wondered about frame integrity with the heavy camper in the tundra. we took it out on a 3 day shake down cruise last weekend, NIGHT AND DAY difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. only sank 1.5" in the rear loading the camper (totally stock suspension), drives like the camper is not even there, brakes awesome, passes cars with ease, and just a more relaxed ride, feel more fresh when i get to the destination. AND, the big truck returned better gas milage, close to 14, which was back raod stop and go traffic since im still breaking it in, didnt want to set the cruise control (varying speed is important for break in). i couldnt be more pleased with the 3/4 ton choice.

AND, my tundra became my daily driver/shop truck again, like it used to be. i love tundras, even the 2nd gen, but do yourself a favor and look at 3/4 tons at least. I thought i would get a 2nd gen tundra this time around, then i saw the power wagon (which will not work well with a camper BTW) and ended up in the 2500

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:26 PM

We have quite a few customers using the Raven Model on a Toyota Tundra CrewMax.

Here is one build thread ...

http://www.expeditio...-Crew-Max-Build

In the end, you would have to make the final decision on what you are comfortable carrying on the truck for the max payload.

The truck will need a few upgrades to better carry a camper (Example: air bags, E rated tires, etc.).

But beside that, they seems to do pretty well.

The newer Tundra looks to be one of the beefiest 1/2 ton trucks out there.

Would a 3/4 ton truck be better? Heck yea. But some customers just don't want to get a new trucks just to go camping a few times a year.

Happy Camping.

:)

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 25 June 2015 - 04:29 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users