ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

I carry this for flats & related work:

Jack.jpg

Just a std compact floor jack with the wheels removed and a skid-plate made to fit in their place.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

I'm not driving a Tundra, so maybe they're different.  But I had no trouble using the stock/OEM bottle jack to jack up my F250 with FWC Hawk the last time I needed to remove the wheel.

I was on rough dirt when I changed the tire and there were no issues. Maybe if I was on a steep side-slope or in the middle of a steep hill it might be different. :huh:  But since I've only had two flats in 140,000 miles I'm not gonna worry about it. :)

(I do carry a Hi-Lift jack, but that's for getting unstuck, not tire-changing.)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

I bought a larger bottle jack for our truck- it still fits in the storage compartment. I haven't had to use it yet. I like the Bogert safe jack accessories but haven't bought any yet. We don't have jack points for a high lift either. I do carry a compressor and now that our tires are getting a bit worn I'm planning on buying a tire patch kit.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:49 PM

I carry this for flats & related work:

Jack.jpg

Just a std compact floor jack with the wheels removed and a skid-plate made to fit in their place.

Thanks for posting this.I remember you posting this a while back but couldn't find it.

It's such a good idea to use the skid plate.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:49 AM

[quote name="huckfinn" post="122027" timestamp="1434822197"]Hi TNA, thank you.  It sounds like you've used the stock jack to fix a flat offroad with a FWC.  Was it front or back?  What were the road conditions?  Any thoughts appreciated.

Huck, I have never had to change a tire offroad with the camper. I have had flats and all of them I was able to plug. I keep a tire plug kit under my seat for fast deployment, my wife is pretty rad the last time we got a flat she had the air compressor all set up by the time I got the plug in. I have used my stock bottle jack to jack one side in the front when a rock got wedged under my control arm. I use my leveling blocks under the jack to give it a stable base. You mentioned you were worried about using the stock jack with the weight of the camper, you could just get a larger capacity bottle jack. Again unless your doing some serious off roading and need a Hi-lift as a recovery tool I could not see a Hi-lift having any advantage when changing a tire.
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#16 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:08 AM

If you have airbags you will damage them lifting the frame with a hilift. The floorjack with a skid is a great idea!

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#17 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

If you have airbags you will damage them lifting the frame with a hilift. The floorjack with a skid is a great idea!

Don't most shop lifts use the frame? My airbags seem fine after I get my tires rotated and I'm pretty sure the truck is lifted by the frame then, not the axle. For a tire change in the field I agree it's much better to lift by the axle, though. As was mentioned, a Hi-Lift is more for getting unstuck than changing tires. The floor jack w/skid is a neat idea, but I just don't have room to stow it without it being in the way all the time.

Edited by Stalking Light, 21 June 2015 - 10:27 AM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#18 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

As previously mentioned....

SAFEJACKS Hi_Lift stabilizer plate if you are going to use a Hi-Lift.  I saw the owner give a demostration at OW-West last month with both his Hi-Lift adapters and SafeJack Bottle bottle jack recovery kit.  The Safejack stabilizer plate makes the Hi-Lift a better tool.  I ordered the bottle jack recovery kit (without jack) and Hi-Lift stabilizer plate.

While some would recommend a Hi-Lift, IMO, it is not the best or safest tool for changing a tire in most situations.

Working overseas, I have witnessed vehicular damage and a few injuries using a Hi-Lift (even following H-L instructions) as received from the manufacturer.  I carry a Hi-Lift, but, would only consider using it to lift the corner of a vehicle using the wheel/tire attachment (not a tire changing technique) in order to perform maintenance under the vehicle (after installing a secondary safety support) or to build/setup a sand/mud bridge.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#19 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

Don't most shop lifts use the frame? My airbags seem fine after I get my tires rotated and I'm pretty sure the truck is lifted by the frame then, not the axle. For a tire change in the field I agree it's much better to lift by the axle, though. As was mentioned, a Hi-Lift is more for getting unstuck than changing tires. The floor jack w/skid is a neat idea, but I just don't have room to stow it without it being in the way all the time.

I think it is the assymetric weight loading on the frame when lifting with a Hi-Lift that can potnetially damage the air bags.  No assymetric loading when using a 4 point shop frame lift.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#20 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

My bags have separate air lines, and an off camber situation would certainly result in asymmetric loading. I have a Hi-Lift jack base plate and a lift mate and like you said mainly use it to lift up a tire to get off high center or to put material underneath the tire. I think the last time I actually used a Hi-Lift to change a tire was when cars came with bumper jacks.

Lots of folks have been hurt with Hi-Lifts, even used properly, but I have also seen them used in crazy stupid ways when someone should have gotten hurt and didn't.  ;)

I was mainly curious about the statement that air bags 'will' be damaged by lifting by the frame, but I'm also hoping I never have to find out first hand. My bigger problem with a flat would be getting the spare off and on my rear swing out spare tire carrier.  :wacko:

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users