• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#11 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

thanks for the suggestions.  Ethergore - thanks for the offer, I'll send a PM.

Edited by DonC, 24 June 2015 - 04:40 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#12 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

I had a chance to help DonC this weekend and wanted to share my observations for an update in case anyone else has input.

Charging from the truck, in my observation, seems to be working correctly. Battery was at 65% of charge according to trimetric and was taking in between 7-10 amps with the truck at idle. I'm thinking the low amps Don has seen before likely occurred with battery closer to full charge which should reduce amperage to battery from the increased resistance. Like most of our rigs, there was significant voltage drop between truck and camper with 13.8 volts at truck battery and only 12.9 at camper batteries. This leads to pretty poor charging as battery gets closer to full charge.

Solar is where I found some concerns. During cloudy sun with 300 watts of solar Don was only getting 1.9 amps of charge. I checked each panel individually and found as follows:

Panel 1-Outputting 19.8 volts and when plugged into trimetric by itself had an output of 1.9 amps

Panel 2-No voltage output what so ever and no amps when plugged in by itself

Panel 3-Outputting 19.8 volts but when plugged into trimetric had no output of amps

To rule out bad wiring I used my Renogy Bendable panel and plugged into the two "bad" panels wiring inputs and had an increase of charging amps. Also with my panel plugged with panel 1 we saw a doubling to 3.8 amps as expected. Other wiring seems correct since we are seeing correct charging and monitoring parameters. Charge controller seems to be working fine since we get a charge. Trimetric seems fine because we are monitoring as expected.

In my opinion Don has 2 bad panels. This is a little concerning since many of us have these panels, including me. Don says he ordered his panels from Amazon and they do look different than mine that I picked up from Renogy in person. I am not suggesting anything but presenting all observations. Don says his packaging all looked authentic. He says he will email Renogy about our observations and see what they suggest. Its really hard to believe 2 panels would go bad when all 3 are not even a year old.

#13 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

I'm interested in this because I'm not far from ordering a couple of these panels.

Did you guys super check the connections and wiring at the panels? I've heard that the wiring interface right at the panels is a little flimsy.

You might try disconnecting a panel and putting a small load like a 12 volt fan or light right at the panel and then checking the output at the panel itself with a meter.

You can poke a dressmakers pin through the insulation into the wiring to get a point to attach a meter. One for each leg.  

I'd also inspect each panel carefully for hairline cracks ect. Maybe it got over flexed in shipping ect.

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

In my opinion Don has 2 bad panels. This is a little concerning since many of us have these panels, including me. Don says he ordered his panels from Amazon and they do look different than mine that I picked up from Renogy in person. I am not suggesting anything but presenting all observations. Don says his packaging all looked authentic. He says he will email Renogy about our observations and see what they suggest. Its really hard to believe 2 panels would go bad when all 3 are not even a year old.

A year ago I ordered a 60w panel from Renogy and installed it. That brought my output to 105w total,but I was only seeing about 35w total even on a full sun period.

I removed both panels and checked them out separately. The new 60w panel was not putting out anything.

I called Renogy and talked to the service/return dept, they told me to return the old panel when the new one comes with the e-mail return slip.

They sent the new one out before I could even get the old one to the UPS driver.

Now the new one works great. Their return policy is great,just call and talk

with them.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

I think I actually quadruple checked the wiring in every place I could. I opened the mc4 connectors and tested there but I did not pierce any of the wire farther back. I didn't want to expose the wire to the elements as these live on the roof. Plus if this is the problem it should be a warranty issue.

The panels did not appear cracked but I did not look closely as they are glued to the roof. I did jiggle the plastic where the wires exit the panel with no change observed. I doubt the panels were damaged during shipping as they worked for a period of time.

I did check panels directly at the main leads so I don't see a reason to test with a fan.

#16 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

I can't thank Ethergore enough...   After his help over the weekend I walked into typical Monday crises at work that have consumed me and may need to go to Nepal for a few days, but I will keep everyone posted so that you have feedback from your ideas and help.

Don C

#17 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:50 AM

I hope you get it worked out.

I had been planning to try to use some sort of Velcro to secure mine, but finally convinced myself to just use the 3m adhesive you guys have used. 300 watts sitting at home, four wheel camper to be picked up Thursday morning.. You're making me have second thoughts now.

Has anyone removed a panel from the thin aluminum roof yet?

FYI it appears that the leads on the panels are now much shorter than they use to be. This could be why appearance has changed, some changes may have been made. Interesting observation though.

#18 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Renogy responded that both panels may be bad.  Luckily I'm only an hour from their office and they invited me to visit and they will diagnose.  Scary that 2 of 3 panels could be bad after 6 months.

I'll let everyone know.

Don C

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Renogy responded that both panels may be bad.  Luckily I'm only an hour from their office and they invited me to visit and they will diagnose.  Scary that 2 of 3 panels could be bad after 6 months.

I'll let everyone know.

DonC,they are a great company and seem to stick by their product.As I said in my cane it was all over the phone and handled quicker that i had expected.

From the call to having the new panel on and operating,5 days.

I think that's pretty good service.

Will be interested to hear what they find out about your panels.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

Ethergore (he has not divulged his name here so I will keep using using his very interesting screen name) had an idea of just snipping off the wire connector and gluing the new panels on top of the old panels.  Not a bad idea.  I'll ask Renogy about that too.

Don C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users