#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Hi-
I'm not trying to start a war or anything like that but I'd like some input from those of you that have one of the above brands and help me understand the differences and if the pricing is justified.

As I understand it FWC is somewhat a production dealer that you have to choose from their list of available options (which is quite extensive) while ATC can accommodate more of a customized nature.

Having said that I am looking at the FWC Grandby and the ATC Cougar to fit on my F-350 SRW long bed. The list price on the Grandby starts almost $3000 higher than the Cougar and I can't figure out what would justify the difference.

Also in comparing the various options on "my build" it seems that FWC is consistantly more expensive. As examples look at the following...

Mechanical Jacks - 695/650
Furnace - 595/495
Extra roof vent - 195/125
Thermal pack - 475/455
Side dinette - 500/250 etc.

By the time you end up "building" your rig the difference in pricing is significant.
Can someone please explain the reasoning for the difference.
PM me if you'd rather not post online.

Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

....PM me if you'd rather not post online.,,,

Not a bad idea...given that brand loyalty (or whatever it is) can angry up the blood (as Grandpa Simpson would say), and we'd rather not have angry blood spewed about on WTW.

But if people can keep it civil, rational, and fact-based then a public discussion is OK.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

Simple, lower overhead.  ATC has one shop where your camper is built by the guys that sold it to you.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:45 PM

Hello again. I can't justify price differences, however I can attest to the quality of my new Hawk. I hear what your saying though. It came down to buying used (getting lucky on the east coast with timing etc), buying sight unseen and driving cross country round trip for an install. OR, deal with a FWC dealer, in which MLO had become in Dec. Have you looked into the tax and freight/delivery for a new one also??? All said and done, I chose the easy way, ordered from a dealer as close as I could get, paid for what I wanted exactly, and went and had it installed. We are both happy with our choice, and only wish MLO had become a dealer earlier as I bought a pull behind last year and hate it.

#5 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:00 PM

Its not an apples to apples comparison. Each company uses different parts and materials which changes the price/value. You should also consider resale value potential. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:12 AM

+2 to Jollyrogers. I researched Outfitter and Hallmark but their pricing was nearly double FWC & ATC. Then someone suggested I check into FWC and ATC. Both companies have great followings and provide great service. You read a lot about ATC doing maintenance on old FWC. I don't think you can go wrong with either company. I narrowed my search to FWC and somewhat to ATC, though I never spoke with anyone at ATC. There were several reasons I chose FWC. The biggest was their dealership base. I was able to drive up to Wisconsin and see a Grandby and Hawk. If I had wanted ATC I believe I would have had to drive to California to see one, and if I purchased one have it installed and then pay the high California tax. I'm guessing the drive and the tax might have been close to $3,000+/-. That was more than enough reason to choose FWC. I also believe that FWC is a little ahead in the game when it comes to improvements to the camper (rounded top of entry door, fiberglass lift panels, new undercoating, and one piece roof). However, with that said, ATC offers some customizing options that FWC won't provide. The option to customize with ATC and not with FWC could be a deal breaker for some. I'm very happy with my FWC Grandby, front dinette. Good luck in your search. You won't go wrong with either company. There is a FWC dealer in Pennsylvania. Long drive from Virginia to California and add the tax and that might be the difference in cost. You can probably dial that in with some research. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 30 June 2015 - 12:13 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:51 AM

Everyone-
Thanks for your comments both public and private.
It is clear that both companies make a great product in slightly different ways.
It is hard for those of us who live on the East Coast who can't easily drop by the factory to get a feel for the manufacturing process etc.
Also the comment about paying sales tax (in CA!) is something I had not considered either. Fortunately I have a couple of months more before I need to make a decision. In fact a WTW member who lives in a nearby state has graciously offered to show me his rig and I'll be looking at it later this week.

Please keep the comments (both public and private) coming.

Decisions, decisions....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:16 AM

If I had wanted ATC ... <snip>... , and if I purchased one have it installed and then pay the high California tax. 

Also the comment about paying sales tax (in CA!) is something I had not considered either. .

This won't really pertain to smlobx, you are so darn far away from California, however, it might be good info to have for others reading this thread a bit closer.

Going to Reno Nevada for the installation by ATC will prevent the paying of California sales tax. They do the same thing for Pacific Northwest buyers by meeting them somewhere in Oregon.

At least that used to be the way it worked in the past.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 30 June 2015 - 04:21 AM.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,587 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

Alley-Kat, there is now an Oregon dealer in Tigard.

I am haunted by waters

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

For us, the one piece roof without screws was worth the $3000 or more on the FWC (I did not check if ATC has improved their roof design).  We saw a used FWC Keystone at the dealer showing all the screws were resealed and there were a lot of screws.  The risk of the FWC one piece roof is will the glue hold for our expected camper life of 20 years and over 3000 nights.  So far, over 300 nights and no problems with the new roof design.

<snip>

...............and it is nice the world has room for folks who strongly believe ATC has the superior roof design that did not cost us $3000 more. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users