#1 PeterV

PeterV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

My wife and I really love our camper (Eagle on a crew cab Nissan Frontier, with long bed) *a lot*. We have twins on the way later this year and we're a bit anxious about whether there'll be enough space for us all. :) I'm looking for some advice and to hopefully hear from people who've done it successfully!

We have the rollover couch so sleeping space should be OK if a bit tight (I found some threads on this forum with ideas about the actual sleeping "pods" that the little ones need). What about eating/hanging out when it's cold outside? It can get a bit cramped even with the two of us, is it possible to add two little ones? I was thinking they could hang out on the upper bed area while we cook, and then sitting/eating is left to be the bigger challenge as the table is quite small.

Storage is also a concern - we have used the backseats for gear storage, so now obviously that won't be possible. We're thinking of getting a tailgate carrier like these: http://www.stowaway2.com/ - to hopefully compensate the lost space (we also have a roof rack/rooftop box we use for ski gear). We struggle with space even as it is, but we tend to want to bring everything (we rock climb, SUP, ski, fly fish, etc. and sometimes want to do all of these on a single trip... obviously with small kids, activities will be different).

Thanks for any positive advice and any success stories... :) I am also considering upgrading to a bigger truck + Hawk but it seems like a marginal improvement so having trouble justifying it. Also the current truck is a 6-speed manual and that's important to us, and it's harder to find in the full size trucks (except for the Dodge diesels with 6-speed, but those are also major $$). Vans are a bit roomier but we use the 4x4 capabilities and do quite a bit of rough/dirt roads, so love the truck platform.

Of course I realize this is all about compromises... and "doable" for one person is impossible according to another :)

Here is a bonus photo for making you read through all of that :-) (Camping in Idaho with the Sawtooths as a backdrop)

camper.jpg

---- 2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed, 6-speed 4x4 2008 FWC Eagle

#2 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

I would confirm first if your truck can fit two rear facing car seat in the truck. The carseats only get bigger when they get older. Check out some of my old post on baby sleeping arrangements and let me know if you have any specific questions.  Congrats on the babies!

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#3 PeterV

PeterV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

Thanks, will investigate... Are car seats really an issue, even in a crew cab (4-door) truck? After all it can seat 4 adults very comfortably...

---- 2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed, 6-speed 4x4 2008 FWC Eagle

#4 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

Congrats on the twins!

Rear facing in my double cab Tacoma is somewhat tight, and I believe it has more room than the frontier (don't quote me). My daughter has to sit behind my wife who is 5'3" or so, I'm 6' and she cannot fit behind me. So it can work, comfort may vary. Try some friend's car seats if you have friends with little ones.

We decided on a fleet with forward dinette so eating/sitting area is separate from standing and cooking. Seems the dinette will make a great sleeping spot, but if my 14 month old can't be "secured" there, we will try the peapod which we just ordered. This arrangement will work much better for midnight bathroom usage if needed to.

However I just got some unexpected news that will much the whole arrangement much tighter in about 8 months, so we will see!

I'm not really sure how you'll sleep young twins in there. I don't know if it is considered bad to have them sleep together, if it is risking smothering or anything.

Good luck whatever you do. Don't make any rash decisions now. You might be surprised how much junk comes with new babies and moms. Even a full size truck and hawk may not be enought for a lot of people! Besides new mommy may not have the energy or desire to camp for a while, she is going to have her hands full. We expected to be out camping immediately, but we are just getting ready to try after 14 months.

Edited by brianjwilson, 01 July 2015 - 01:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users