34 replies to this topic

#1 takingatrip1

takingatrip1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

What would camper owners think of ordering the Hawk w/o the stove? Do you use it or would a "jet boil" or camp stove be as useful ( coffee, oatmeal ect.) while freeing up counter space?

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

I wouldn't be without my two-burner stove in the camper.

My first reason for getting a camper was because i was tired of fighting wind, rain, snow, etc. while cooking on a stove outside.  For me, I didn't mind sleeping in a tent -- I didn't buy the camper because I wanted a comfy bed.  I bought it for comfy cooking -- indoors.

And I don't need more counter space...not sure what I'd use it for.  (more storage space is a different story)

But...I know some do most of their cooking outside -- everyone has different styles.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

2+ Mark. I wouldn't be without it. We cook all our meals outside on a Weber Q Grill. It is nice having the stove if we want or need to cook inside. My wife boils water to make coffee in our coffee press. We have the glass top on the stove (more counter space), but not on the sink. I think the stove is important.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 01 July 2015 - 12:28 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

3+ Mark.

I don't think I'd order a FWC without an indoor stove simply for its re-sale potential.  Most folks will want the ability to cook inside the camper.

Having said that, I have the flush mount 2-burner stove and sink.  I have only used the indoor stove for boiling water for coffee or tea in the morning when I'm trying to get a quick start down the road and dried pasta.  I tend to do most of my cooking out side.  One, I have always enjoyed cooking/grilling outside v inside.  Two, it doesn't introduce food odors to all the fabrics in the camper.

Our outside cooking setup at Point Sublime, Grand Canyon back in May.  Cooking an anchoive based pasta sauce!

IMG_1701.jpg

Inside for boiling water...

I'm a messing cook, but, a great kitchen cleaner!

IMG_1712.jpg

and of course, just when you think you're unwired, wife discovers one bar on her iPhone with barely line of sight comms to South Rim Visitors Center!

IMG_1713.jpg

Note, the portable solar panel case makes the perfect wind screen for cooking outside!

Edited by Advmoto18, 01 July 2015 - 12:00 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

My first reason for getting a camper was because i was tired of fighting wind, rain, snow, etc. while cooking on a stove outside.

Yup MarkBC, we agree. The wind blows, it snows and rains and sometimes it is pretty darn cold. Being minimalists, we carry only one stove, the two burner installed in our counter.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

5 or 6X with Mark. Yep-let me join the group!  I also  have a  potable 2 burner  camp stove  and my BBQ for those outside meals and my old back packer stove-never know when I may need it :D !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

5 or 6X with Mark. Yep-let me join the group! I also have a potable 2 burner camp stove and my BBQ for those outside meals and my old back packer stove-never know when I may need it :D !

Smoke

Smoke, that would make you a belt and suspenders guy. (Me too!) ;-)

I am haunted by waters

#8 takingatrip1

takingatrip1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

OK, I'm seeing a pattern here ☺

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

Ya think? :D

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

My first reason for getting a camper was because i was tired of fighting wind, rain, snow, etc. while cooking on a stove outside.  For me, I didn't mind sleeping in a tent -- I didn't buy the camper because I wanted a comfy bed.  I bought it for comfy cooking -- indoors.

And I don't need more counter space...not sure what I'd use it for.  (more storage space is a different story)

But...I know some do most of their cooking outside -- everyone has different styles.

Yup MarkBC, we agree. The wind blows, it snows and rains and sometimes it is pretty darn cold. Being minimalists, we carry only one stove, the two burner installed in our counter.

Well, I can't let the shell campers' view go unrepresented...

We are kind of minimalists too. We carry only one stove. We don't have a stove or sink in our camper and do just fine. We do have a fridge. We like cooking/living outdoors- that's the point of camping for us. We use a partner stove. If the weather is too bad, we can easily cook indoors with our setup- but it's a rare last resort. I do like having a nice bed out of the elements for sleeping, which is the first reason why we have a camper. :)

There are as many ways of camping as there are campers. 

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users