11 replies to this topic

#1 takingatrip1

takingatrip1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

Is the front sliding window useful? My trucks sliding window is only 1' square if that (dodge ram) .

Do you use it? Or is it money saved without it?

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

I made a small screen for mine and use it for ventilation, I don't use it to access inside my truck.

I drove through a lot of rain on a 5 week trip this spring and had no leaks.

Edited by Stalking Light, 01 July 2015 - 02:28 PM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

Didn't have sliding window in truck so didn't order it. Thought it was a possible water source and decided to save the money. FWC had some leak issues last year with water leaking through weeps when driving.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

I ordered it with my fleet front dinette, primarily for ventilation. My last camper had a sliding window in the same location but with a screen, very helpful in rain since it is protected. It did drip a little while driving in very heavy rain, but so did the side windows. I'll likely figure out a way to put a screen in this one as well.

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

I ordered the sliding front window for ventilation.

The Fantastic powered fan (over the bed) in exhaust mode pulls a lot of air through the front window and up and over the sleeping area.

I haven't had a leak at the fornt window.  But, duing a big turd floater in W. Texas, the left side window did leak a bit.  But, very heavy rain was blowing sideways in that storm.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

I plan to have a friend who does windshield replacement for a living remove my entire back window. We'll then fabricate aluminum sheet inserts that come up to both sides of the Hawk and I will put a boot in. We'll save the back window and reinstall it before I sell the truck.

Remember that my truck is a "dedicated RV". I'm not even ordering jacks for the new Flatbed Hawk. This wouldn't work for a daily driver. I'll let everyone know how my theories above work! :)

#7 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

If you haven't already check out the "Buyers Regret" thread here. IIRC there was a bit of discussion about the front slider.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

We have it on our FWC and have never opened it.  Nice to have it I think but not sure what for...

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:36 AM

Mine was ordered with it. I've never used it.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

My dealer asked me this regarding sliding front window...

You going to camp in Grizz country?  I replied of course, someday I'm heading up to the NWT and into Alaska.

Well consider this...

If you wake up to the sounds of Grizz outside your camper, are you going to wait for him to leave?

Or send the wife out the the camper door first, running in one direction to distract Grizz while you jump out of the camper and hightail it for the dirver's door?  Start truck up and rescue wife from Grizz?

Or just shimy throught front window into truck and drive away to a safe distance?

I didn't even need to ask wife which option to choose, sort of figured it out on my own.  But the ventalation the window affords is very nice as well.  Worth the coin IMO.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users