• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#11 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

I just checked the Renogy web site to verify the optimum operating current on the bendable panels and noticed this at the bottom of the specs:

Please try to mount the panel so that there is minimal direct contact between the panel and the surface it is to be mounted to, to avoid hot spots.
It is recommended that there be at least a half inch of space between the solar panel and the surface to allow for air circulation, if the application allows for this.

This didn't used to be there when I bought my original panels last Sept. This supports my belief that temperature issues played a factor in the degradation and eventual demise of my two panels and perhaps many, if not most of the other problems our community has seen. Fortunately, I had already mounted my replacements on an aluminum framework that meets these instructions. Sadly, this takes away one of the biggest selling points of these panels ie: the ability to just glue them to a surface and not deal with a support structure.

Alan

#12 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

I called Renogy for more information on that last statement - " "hot spots" and ....if the application allows for this."

Renogy tech answers to above questions and a few more

1. Hot Spots cause a voltage drop. The operating voltage spec is 17.7 . Hot spot will drop it to 15 - 16 volts.

2. The warranty is in affect if the panel is glued onto the roof.

One conclusion: not raising the panel half to one inch above roof may lower the efficiency of one panel. In my case its not an issue as my amp usage is  minimal; And my application calls for keeping the roof as light as possible.

3. Renogy manufactures the bendable panel

4. To date they have experienced less than a 5% failure rate

5. To date they don't know reason the panels failed - Testing is still going on.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 22 July 2015 - 06:36 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#13 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

I'm sorry to hear of people having an issue with these panels. I've personally had 3 of them on my roof for over 1.5 years without an issue.
I did not buy them through Renogy but I own several other panels from them.
I really enjoy my setup and with our types of campers think this is an excellent option still.

I personally would not hesitate to do it again. I've enjoyed nonstop power for my camper with this setup.

However, FWC now offers a much better option in solar at 160 watts which would cover most people fair adequately. It is worth considering on a new build.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#14 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

And using the "speaker Lift" inside or the external struts would negate the weight issue lifting the roof for those owners with bad backs or folks of slight build.

Thanks for reminding all of us Dr J that gluing a panel on the roof is only one option. 

Jim

#15 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Are there any pics of the 160 watt solar offering from Four Wheel??

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#16 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

The solar power generated from a 160 watt panel should be close to 9-10 amps charging at full sunlight.

That would be enough power to both charge your batteries and run the compressor fridge at the same time.

One of the most common mistake people make is not having enough solar to charge and run their system at the same time.

Although I am always a fan for more solar, FWC is finally up to a reasonable amount of solar with this setup.

I believe this is the setup they are using (but not 100% sure):

http://www.zampsolar...kit-zs-160-30a/

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#17 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

My 160 watt panel will only do 9-10 amps at certain times due to certain conditions and I've only seen that once.  It generally does 6-8 amps.

Edited by Bwht4x4, 27 July 2015 - 10:55 PM.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#18 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

Point of interest: One of two Renogy 100W flexible solar panels arrived dead out of the box.  Be sure to test before installation.  Renogy replaced it right away.  Called customer service first and was transferred to tech support to troubleshoot.  Once they were satisfied it was dead the replacement process was initiated.  All in all pretty efficient even though they have to receive the failed panel before shipping the replacement.

#19 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

"Down here" - close to Mexico we have r-e-a-l-l-y been experiencing hot weather (last 3 days the temp here 8 miles east of the Ocean has been averaging 97* - Thank goodness for air conditioning).

The day I reported my battery was at 73% I parked the rig in full sun (to charge the battery)  After about 4 hours i checked the voltage from the panel - through the 12 gauge wire to the input side of the "MorningStar" controller at 17.7 volts. Maybe my white aluminum roof is helping to keep the roof temp down.

Jim

#20 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:06 AM

Attached File  2015-07-04 10.25.10.jpg   48.59K   271 downloadsI picked up a used Hawk last fall and installed a trimetric and 2-100 watt renogy flexible panels on the roof this spring. Worked great in spring and early summer but now they don't work at all. Didn't have a chance to use the camper in July and August but keep it parked in a carport. 

Don't really have time to troubleshoot or deal with this now but I am kinda bummed. spent a lot of time and money on this......plus I glued them to the roof with silicone caulk....lot's of it!  I am new to this and thought solar panels were reliable!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users