#61 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

+1 on caveat emptor.

Renogy’s response to the flexible panel failures of a couple of years ago has convinced me that they stand by their products and take care of their customers fairly.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#62 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:48 PM

+1 on caveat emptor.

Renogy’s response to the flexible panel failures of a couple of years ago has convinced me that they stand by their products and take care of their customers fairly.

Paul

+1 on Renogy I had 1 of 2 flexible panels go bad after a couple years and they replaced it at full price! I did replace both with new generation ridged panels using the credit from the bad one. I have 100w flex panel I’m not using if anyone needs one

#63 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:27 PM

To update - both my solar Cynergy panels failed in a hail storm.   At least one string of cells in each panel died in the storm, leaving each panel at half current.    I have since reverted to a 160W rigid panel and folding portable panel.     

To be clear, this was a major hail storm with golf ball sized hail - several thousand dollars worth of damage done to the Tacoma the camper was mounted on, and the camper roof looks like the surface of the moon, but no leaks.   About half or two thirds the houses in our neighborhood have roof top solar, and talking to our neighbors, only a few of them lost roof top panels in the same storm, so clearly the glass panels faired much better. 

Which folding portable panel are you using?

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#64 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:33 PM

I have the AIMS Power 120W foldable.   It has worked as advertised, but I have to admit that I haven't used it all that much, so I can't speak to it's longevity.   In general deployable panels are a pain, so we only use is when absolutely necessary.   Here in the sunny rockies and SW, 160W on the roof is plenty 90% of the time. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#65 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:37 PM

My 160w panel supplies ample charge to keep my ARC refrigerator and other things going.

I made a 'battery box'  (solar generator as they are marketed) with a 35ah battery to keep as a back up and to play with for radio.

I can charge it w/ a battery charger or solar and I could connect it to the camper battery if need be  but I want a solar panel to use with it.

I didn't think a foldable panel would be a pain to deploy.  Most 100w  regular panels too big to easily carry in the camper.....

thanis.

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#66 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:59 AM

I consider any portable panel a pain to deploy in comparison to the always on roof panels, it is not that the flexible panels are more of a pain.  

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#67 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:41 PM

This panel might be all u need for that size battery. If u installed a solar controller in your box, then just plug & play. Good quality MC4 connectors. I needed a MC4/SAE splitter for my box. The panel is small & easy to pack. I bought one & thought the quality was definitely an improvement compared to my initial flex roof & portable. I had 2 - 50’ cables, but recently made 4 - 25’ cables to give me option of near & far. I ended up buying another to use for a DIY electric propelled canoe. I can run them in parallel if need be. I am like Rando so far in that my roof keeps up with my needs. But, I have not encountered long term heavy shade or dark/white out weather conditions. 2 of these 50W were easier to pack, for me, than my 100W. The 100W Dokio was cheaply made & started to fail, I tossed it. IMO, this Renogy is clearly better quality.

https://www.amazon.c...le?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by Stokeme, 14 October 2020 - 08:11 PM.

#68 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:08 PM

IMO, this Renogy is clearly better quality.

https://www.amazon.c...le?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hey, I think I will get this. I have a rooftop panel and PWM controller. What connector do I need to get to plug into my prewired Fleet SAE plug?

#69 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:40 PM

Something like below ... This also contains a SAE polarity adapter, which you may need. I did need an adapter, but realized that later, & had to order one separately. Confirm your polarity. You did not mention your Camper battery size? 50W should be great for 35ah. It will be ~2/3 slower, say for 100ah, than your 160W. But a portable can possibly be placed in a superior sun/solar position for greater efficiency.

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

#70 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:53 PM

Thanks. I have the 75aH  Exide battery from FWC,  100 Watt solar panel from AM Solar and Morningstar PWM controller. this has been good enough for my small compressor fridge, except a few occassions where I wanted to park in shade due to heat, so a portable would be good in those situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users