• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hello All,

I have been in love with the idea of taking a dirt bike with me on extended trips with the truck camper. I finally did take my bike on uhaul trailer through Nevada and am absolutely sold on the idea of having a motorcycle as an additional toy for the more exotic terrain. However, the uhaul trailer is a bit too big and unweildy to be taking regularly. 

For those of you that have carried a dirtbike on a hitch carrier/tray, how did you brace the bike such that the handlebars did not poke into the back of the camper? 

I used the AMC400 hitch carrier (a very popular one for dirt bikes) and loaded up my WR250r on the back. The handlebar end was about 2-3 inches away from the camper. I was worried that when going over bumps, the handle bar end might poke into the camper back. I found some photos where people used soft cloth or foam pieces at then end of the handlebar to cushion it from poking the camper. However, I'd like to see if there are some other ways of bracing the motorcycle against the camper more tightly without damaging either.  

I plan on taking short trips with the dirt bike initially, and if whatever system works out, take it on longer trips. Here is a thread I started last year...  

http://www.wanderthe...er-and-airbags/

Thank you for the advise,

Shridhar

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:35 AM

Think about using a hitch extender to keep it further away from the camper. A friend carries his KTM 650 with a carrier that extends out and then welded a step across the extension that is braced on the hitch underneath the truck. Very solid and also can carry extra gas and water containers.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

You might try locating the framing inside the wall. Then getting a small sheet of 3/16" aluminum cut to span from frame mamber to frame member where the handle bar end is. I'm thinking like the diamond plate panels they put on Jeep corners ect. That should do a good job of protecting the outside skin and not cost too much.

#4 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

Think about using a hitch extender to keep it further away from the camper. A friend carries his KTM 650 with a carrier that extends out and then welded a step across the extension that is braced on the hitch underneath the truck. Very solid and also can carry extra gas and water containers.

Interesting. Something like this one? http://www.harborfre...image_12632.jpg

The little platform for holding a gas can would be super welcome! 

I only worry about moving the weight of bike even further back and introducing maybe more wobble... but for short runs it might be ok i suppose. Its a very doable compromise though. 

#5 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

You might try locating the framing inside the wall. Then getting a small sheet of 3/16" aluminum cut to span from frame mamber to frame member where the handle bar end is. I'm thinking like the diamond plate panels they put on Jeep corners ect. That should do a good job of protecting the outside skin and not cost too much.

That is a very good idea indeed! Having a protector of some sort will also give me the space to screw on a soft rubber surface on the plate. :-) 

Any idea how to locate the framing? I dont think there are any blueprints... Given that its all aluminium, the old magnet trick wouldnt work, correct? Is there any kind of a stud finder? 

Edited by srileo, 06 July 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

Versa Haul makes one of the better hitch carriers.  While I do not own one, several riding buddies have one for their dirt bikes.  Looks like a very stable platform going down FS roads.  Both use the Curt 8" extender sourced from eTrailer.com.   Note, the comment regarding a 50% overall weight rating reduction when using an extender.  That should not be a factor when using an extender on a Class IV/V hitch carrying a 350# motorcycle.  Class IV is 1000-1200# tongue weight and an overall weight rating of 10,000#.  Not much of an issue with the 50% weight reduction for the extender and a motorcycle/carrier.

You should always use a hitch stabilizer if carrying a motorcycle or other heavy load off the receiver.  Prevents the very wobble previously mentioned.

Be very careful selecting an extender for carrying a motorcycle off a single point;  the receiver.  All extenders are not the same!  I have seen several extenders twist under load due to soft or low Rockwell rated steel.  If it is an inexpensive extension compared to others, you can probably rest assured it has a low Rockwell rating or wasn't even tested/rated.

Edited by Advmoto18, 06 July 2015 - 11:37 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

I'd suggest using a trailer. It will cut down on the weight your truck has to carry. Harbor freight has a few different types that are used quite a bit.

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=123255

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#8 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

I'd suggest using a trailer. It will cut down on the weight your truck has to carry. Harbor freight has a few different types that are used quite a bit.

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=123255

ETAVR,

the trailer is probably the safest idea all around, but there is simply no garage space left here. I can barely put in the ramp for the bike :-(

#9 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

Versa Haul makes one of the better hitch carriers.  While I do not own one, several riding buddies have one for their dirt bikes.  Looks like a very stable platform going down FS roads.  Both use the Curt 8" extender sourced from eTrailer.com.   Note, the comment regarding a 50% overall weight rating reduction when using an extender.  That should not be a factor when using an extender on a Class IV/V hitch carrying a 350# motorcycle.  Class IV is 1000-1200# tongue weight and an overall weight rating of 10,000#.  Not much of an issue with the 50% weight reduction for the extender and a motorcycle/carrier.

You should always use a hitch stabilizer if carrying a motorcycle or other heavy load off the receiver.  Prevents the very wobble previously mentioned.

Be very careful selecting an extender for carrying a motorcycle off a single point;  the receiver.  All extenders are not the same!  I have seen several extenders twist under load due to soft or low Rockwell rated steel.  If it is an inexpensive extension compared to others, you can probably rest assured it has a low Rockwell rating or wasn't even tested/rated.

ADVmoto18,

Is the function of the extender only to get the moto further away from the camper to avoid unintentional bumping?  If so, I wonder if i need it because my motorcycle handlebars do clear the back of the camper by 2-3 inches. If i can figure out a way to brace the bike against the camper, then i have the additioanl advantage of keeping the weight forward. 

Got you on the anti-wobble device. That is an excellent find. The AMC-400 ramp i have coems with one, and it works, but it requires a wrench to tighten 3 bolts. The one you linked to is better, with just wingnuts. Great! 

#10 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

I am veering more and more to ditching the AMC-400 ramp and getting an UltimateMXHauler hydraulic carrier instead. 

No straps needed, and more importantly, the handlebars can be freely turned away from the camper and not need any bracing. Also, much more compact to store than a ramp. Single person operation too. 

Lets see if the wifey will consider this for my b'day gift! 

Anyone interested in my brand new AMC-400? ;-) I'm in the SF bay area :-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users