• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

As of Friday, Nevada has a new national monument.  Its the size of Rhode Island I understand.  I have exhausted my limited internet research skills and still can't find a map of what this encompasses.  

One of many write-ups on the declaration:

https://www.whitehou...onal-monuments.

Has anyone seen a map?  I'd like to pay a visit.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Vic, your link to the announcement is broken.  I found the following verbiage on the new NM.

"This monument will protect approximately 704,000 acres of public land in of one the most undisturbed corners of the broader Great Basin region.  Less than two hours from Las Vegas, this unbroken expanse attracts recreationists seeking vastness and solitude and provides significant wildlife habitat and migration corridors.  The area tells the story of a rich cultural tradition, from the earliest human inhabitants 13,000 years ago to miners and ranchers in the past century.  The monument features an array of cultural sites, including petroglyph and prehistoric rock art panels, and offers exemplary opportunities to further study and understand this unique landscape and its human inhabitants.  The area is also home to City, one of the most ambitious examples of the distinctively American land-art movement.  Located on privately-held land in Garden Valley, the work by artist Michael Heizer combines modern abstract architecture and engineering with ancient American aesthetic influences. The monument also allows for the continuation of certain historic uses, including livestock grazing and military use.  Local private landowners, local elected officials, art institutions, conservation and recreation organizations, and representatives from major Nevadan and national businesses have supported protecting the area.  The site will be managed by the Bureau of Land Management."

The area included is north of Alamo, NV.   Google "Garden Valley, NV" to get a general idea of the area.   I am sure that a state atlas will have more detailed information on how to get into the area.   It sounds like a wonderful place to visit.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

Found a map of it on Google, it is sw of the park and too near to LV for me but still  might be worth a stop by!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

BRNM is more or less near the red circle.  GBNP (green bit on the UT border to the right) is about 77,000 acres; the new national monument is nine times that at 706,000 acres!

Has anybody been out that way?

attachment=21370:Nev01s.jpg]

Attached Thumbnails

• Nev01s.jpg

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

This article appears to have a Department of Interior map of the new Basin and Range National Monument.....

http://kuer.org/post...tional-monument

.... but I can't explain why the article calls it 'Range and Basin' in the headline and link.

-OC

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:12 AM

Range & Basin...Basin & Range. 

Tastes great...Less filling...

I'll have to visit it my self and see which feature should be the headliner.  

(thanks for the map - that is exactly what I was looking for!)

And I'll ignore the fact that my wife pointed out that this was actually named for 2 kitchen fixtures.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#7 Doc Foster

Doc Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

They have a Facebook page - https://www.facebook...ctbasinandrange

https://www.whitehou...-range-national

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

Well if I'd made it out to the Lunar Crater I'd have been pretty close. Such a big state.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users