108 replies to this topic

#21 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  My unit arrived and looks nearly identical, except green led vs. red on the board.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#22 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

I wish these companies would post their specs, if indeed it is acoustic humming due to the pwm controller frequency being in the audible range. I contemplated ripping Mr. billharr's soundtrack off of youtube and dumping it into Audacity to get the spectrum of the noise, but then there is no frequency specification to compare with the noise. It will be interesting to hear what Mr. billharr learns from the vendor.

I've been interested in this for quite some time. I guess I can either go for low freq. PWM with adequate filtering, or High freq. PWM.

I found a few boards that were just above 20kHz and that would be good to try. It might drive your cat crazy...

Here is a tech bulletin on how to add a smoothing capacitor to a PWM controller that is causing audible humming: link is a pdf file

http://tinyurl.com/qeyax59

Looks like you want it before the output amp. A low pass LC subwoofer filter after the amp might work as well, but they are large and expensive.

#23 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Here is what the vendor sent.

Dear bikeama,

hi
dear
please check item number :
it seems last can not more fit for you

- abstore08

I made links out of the item numbers that go to his ebay auctions.

161224478907  shows a PWM frequency of 21 kHz   will this be audible?

161778762424  has the discription below and sounds like it might work. What say the electrical experts?

fan c.jpg

#24 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:26 AM

The latter looks good to me if its 21 kHz or more. I can barely hear that frequency at my age, 52. It all seems like a crapshoot without the specs.

Eta: Played around with audacity freeware. Don't know the limit of my super tweeters but I could only hear up to 15 kHz, my son was able to hear up to 19 kHz. I think I'd be good at 21 kHz pwm.

Edited by huskyrunnr, 31 July 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#25 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:15 PM

Just an update. Thanks to Harv I have a controller that does not make noise ;-)

See video below, runs slow enough you can see the blades go by without any noise. Now do I want to cut a hole and put a fan in the front?????

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

Just an update. Thanks to Harv I have a controller that does not make noise ;-)

<snip>

Thanks Bill, what controller (or fix) did you get and could you provide a link? Thanks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:49 PM

Ski, Harv sent me the controller he had two. I do not have the link but looked on Ebay and found this one that looks the same. As long as the frequency is high enough so you can not hear it it should work.  Still find it hard to believe how cheap these are.  

med_gallery_1903_342_622252.jpg

Edited by billharr, 23 August 2015 - 12:55 AM.

#28 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

Thanks Bill

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#29 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

I've been following the discussion and had a few questions I hope someone can answer.
My camper has the basic vent, but no fan. I was going to buy a three speed with reverse model fantastic fan, but was wondering what affects the controller has on the fan's operation.

Does the controller affect the reversing feature, or is it controlled by a separate switch?
Can I buy a single speed fantastic fan (if they even make one) and install the controller for variable speed?
Could I buy a switch to (I assume) reverse the polarity so the fan will operate in reverse mode?
Finally, I see what I assume are older and newer model fantastic fans for sale on ebay. Is one version better or more reliable?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
2007 FWC Hawk

#30 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

For the factory 3 speed Fantastic Fan, there is a separate switch for direction - in or out
There are several models that fit in the standard vent. 3 speed is factory standard.
Options include the following: 14 speed, rain sensor, color for vent lid, thermostat, remote control, external cover so that fan can operate in rain without worrying about leaks.
If you are starting fresh, buy the one with options you want.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fan, Fantastic Fan, Modification, Speed adjustment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users