Fan Fantastic Fan Modification Speed adjustment

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

I put a single pole single throw toggle switch up stream of the speed control. I drilled a hole near the vent crank handle.
The speed control should then feed the forward reverse switch and the vent position switch (I was a bit surprised how cheesy that part is)
I bought two controls together , one slows the blades a bit slower than the other, but the fans are slightly different vintage also, I didn't look to see if the motors were identical.

I put the speed control potentiometer (speed adjust) thru a stainless fender washer and stuck in the original speed knob hole.

Best mod ever

#62 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the insights... I will get into this soon and post back. I  was thinking of soldering a couple wires on to make them longer so to then use the original hole... then use the rocker fan direction switch to turn off the fan.... but now Ski3pin has me thinking.... is it still drawing current? I am "electrically challenged". 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#63 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Read through this post may need to complete the mod. My question (might have missed) is the vent area above the bed wired with power from factory. My Fantastic fan is up front y my stove and that is good. Does anyone know if I can mount a fantastic fan over my bed? Many nights I wished it was there. If wired I guess I'd buy the newer quieter one.

#64 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:24 AM

I got the fan controller in and the fan sure sounds better. All went well with the help from Ski3pin....thanks!

As my Ebay controller has a fuse already mounted on it.... is it necessary to keep the one already in the fan? The reason I ask is I removed the 3 speed controller as well as the fuse and noticed that the hole was perfect size for the new dial...even had the small channel into which the keeper went...just added a larger washer. As I am a woodworker I have plug cutters and cut a nice round piece out of white plastic drain gutter to cover over the original dial hole. At present I have the fuse holder wired inside and as soon as I get a new hot glue gun will put everything in.  Just wondering if the two fuses were overkill.

Edited by buckland, 01 September 2017 - 10:51 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#65 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the insights... I will get into this soon and post back. I  was thinking of soldering a couple wires on to make them longer so to then use the original hole... then use the rocker fan direction switch to turn off the fan.... but now Ski3pin has me thinking.... is it still drawing current? I am "electrically challenged". 

The direction rocker switch has to be down stream of the speed control (otherwise you would reverse the polarity to the speed control when you change directions) so even in the middle position the speed controller is still powered up.   It probably only draws a tiny amount of power, but my version has a red  LED on it that is annoying to leave on, so I use the original speed control switch to shut it all the way down. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#66 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

Rando, thanks for the explanation. I suspect then, if I want to completely cut power draw, all I need is a simple 12V on/off switch between the power in and the pwn controller.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#67 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

If yours doesn't have a light I suspect it draws so little current that it is not worth worrying about. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#68 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:57 AM

Okay, thanks! No LED. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#69 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:38 AM

Has anyone tried this modification on a Maxx Air fan. My Alaskan has a 3 speed that is very loud even on the lowest speed. I would like to be able to slow it down.

#70 Ozy

Ozy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:51 AM

This is the one you have been searching for. https://www.amazon.c...pop_mb_pd_title Wire it to the in/out switch

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fan, Fantastic Fan, Modification, Speed adjustment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users