• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Since I installed a FWC Eagle on my Tacoma, the one big frustration has been the loss of a consistent satellite radio signal.  Toyota chose to place the shark fin antenna on the rear of the cab which is completely covered by the camper overhang.  The other frustration is that Toyota chose to use a proprietary cable plug for their factory installed radios and antennas which makes it difficult to find a cheaper solution than replacing the entire radio. After a fair amount of research, I came up with a solution that some might still consider expensive, but is far cheaper than buying a decent new radio.  

The first challenge was finding a cable.  After searching thru various sites, I found a patch cable is being made and sold here:  

http://www.tss-radio...able-fra3m.html

20150719_130300.jpg

In addition, you will need another antenna that can be mounted anywhere that is not being blocked by the camper.  Here is one example but they can be bought at Best Buy, Target, etc.

http://www.tss-radio...ar-antenna.html

My initial research revealed that the Tacoma factory antenna plugs into another cable that is behind the panel to the left of the emergency brake.  Once I found the location, I assumed it would be simply "plug and play" but that didn't work.  After trying a second cable with no luck, my only other option was to plug the new cable directly into the radio itself -- success.  Now, that does involve removing the factory installed radio but that turned out to be extremely easy to do.  In fact, here is a step by step tutorial on radio replacement (just skip the new radio install):

http://tacotunes.com...rket-head-unit/

Once you unplug the factory antenna wire, there is one more modification to the new cable that has to be done before the cable will plug into the radio.

Sat Ant Adapt 3.jpg

Here is what I ended up with:

20150719_130008.jpg

The antenna is placed on the small flat spot in front of the windshield.  Magnet holds it securely.

20150719_130018.jpg

There is a small gap between the windshield pillar and the quarter panel that the antenna wire slips through and is protected.  I then ran the cable down behind the rubber door gasket, under the plastic panel behind the emergency brake and made the connection to the patch cable.  Blue tape is temporary until I make sure the location is just right.  ;-)

Radio reception is great in all directions and my wife no longer has to listen to me sing the one or two songs I can remember.

Any questions just send them on.

Cheers

#2 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for posting this. I exchanged emails with the same company about adapters about a few weeks ago, but I forgot to look in my truck see which end I needed when I was home. I planned to plug it in behind the kick panel as well.

Edited by brianjwilson, 20 July 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#3 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Brian

You'll have to plug directly into the radio. Not sure why and the techies couldn't explain it either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

#4 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

UPDATE on the road in certain directions, the reception would still be spotty. I simply moved the antenna down the hood a bit so it sits towards the front. It has a much clearer view of the sky and reception is very consistent.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

That's basically what I did, moved both xm and gps to hood. There's a Lexus adapter for the gps.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

I have an after market sat radio with a similar antenna. I moved my antenna to the corner of the dash inside the truck to protect from the elements and vandals, works well on my 1st gen Tundra.

#7 UtahTaco2016

UtahTaco2016

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

I bought the patch cable and the micro antenna as recommended. However, I am a bit lost and wonder if you can give some help before I pull the radio in my 2016 Tacoma out.

Here's my question: there seems to be no connection to be made between the patch cable and the antenna. In other words, both have what appears to be two small male connectors. I must be missing something-- how do you make the connection between the patch cable and the micro antenna?

Thanks!

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

2015 FWC Eagle Shell. 2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB OR.

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

I had mine done at an audio shop; they used a Kenwood Garmin GPS antenna and for the XM they used a Metra euro car to male Motorola and MetraLexus radio antenna adapter. Mine was the Entune radio with GPS and XM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#9 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

The patch cable should have the grey square end that plugs directly into the radio and a female end that the small antenna cable plugs into.  At least that is what I had.  That patch cable -- at a quick glance, it looks like the one end is male but on mine, it has a hole that plugs into the male end of the antenna cable.

I bought the patch cable and the micro antenna as recommended. However, I am a bit lost and wonder if you can give some help before I pull the radio in my 2016 Tacoma out.

Here's my question: there seems to be no connection to be made between the patch cable and the antenna. In other words, both have what appears to be two small male connectors. I must be missing something-- how do you make the connection between the patch cable and the micro antenna?

Thanks!

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

We recently came back from a week in DV in which we rented a SUV for our overlanding needs. Fortunately it came with a Sirius radio and my wife commented that we should get one for out 2006 F-350 as we are soon to get our Hallmark camper on it.

This has me thinking that this mod might be doable.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users