20 replies to this topic

#11 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

1st gen tundra with an eagle shell would be an awesome combination. the eagle fits really tight and clean in the 1st gen, my neighbor has that set up (eagle camper though). I had a hawk in my 02 AC for years (hawk is a little big looking to the truck) and it was a great combo, i did just upgrade my camper truck to a RAM2500, but i kept my 02 tundra and returned it to daily driver/shop truck duty and sold my shop truck 99 Tacoma. the 1st gen tundra IMHO is the best truck Toyota made to date.

for sure ride right air bags at a minimum (even though it is a shell, still will need them you will find) and since shocs probably need replacing anyway after 100K, i would look at bilsteen 5100 with rear add a leaf (slightly higher stance) which is what i did. but set my neighbor up with old man emu and add a leaf. if i did my own truck over, id go old man emu

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

I have a 2005 Tundra TRD AC with a 2013 Hawk. If you are looking try to find a 2005 or 2006 Tundra with the variable valve timing.  I bought mine new, if I used my 20/20 hind sight I would have got a double cab. Grandkids are getting bigger and would like a full double cab. Next truck will be a 3/4 ton double cab; I wish Toyota would make one. Lot's of information on First generation Tundras  here.  My Hawk does set high on the AC, but I plan on having the camper longer than the Tundra. Must have's are air bags, E tires and a Helwig sway bar. 

#13 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

I have a 2012 Hawk on my '02 AC Tundra, 180K miles.  Runs great!.  Ditto all the above comments.  Also, be aware of braking conditions.  The brakes seem a little inferior when stopping with camper onboard.  I think you can upgrade to larger brakes if you choose to.  Like Bill, when the time comes I plan to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. The tundra handles the camper pretty good with air bags and E tires, but a 3/4 ton will (I believe) handle the weight much better. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton I would be first in line.  

#14 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

Ill add to the list of happy first gen Tundra owners. Sold my Dodge Cummins and bought my tuck cash with 165k miles on it. Like one other poster said, check the brakes as these were a weak link and upgraded in 2004. If the brakes need changing upgrade to the 2004 or up model year. The hardest part is trimming some of the brake shield.

Since you backed out of the deal you should really try to get a 2005 or 2006. This is the best model year IMO because you get the VVTI with extra power, better brakes, full dual cab if you want it and a great modern 5 speed transmission. It improves gas mileage and feels great.

Good luck on the hunt.

Oh ya. I went cheap using Timbrens and actually really like them.

#15 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:54 AM

I agree with the first gen brake issues, They were way under sized!

Once while driving in the Colorado mountains with a cab full of people (3 adults & 2 kids) I almost lost the brakes in my Tundra. They overheated, started shuddering and scared the crap out of me! Drove like my Grandma the rest of the way home!

Toyota even borrowed my truck at one point to drive it with Toyota engineers to test the brakes performance. Turned out I wasn't the only one having issues.
2007 FWC Hawk

#16 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

We love our 05 tundra with a used 03 Grandby shell. Bought truck new, just turned 75k! Only used for camping and hauling firewood. Now it's full time with camper. I had Firestone ride rites put on in 06 and IMHO they are a pita. They do the job but if I had to do it over again I'd go with add a leafs. I've had bags blow, bag shackles literally disintegrate until I installed aircraft grade bolts, air valves fail at least once a year....definitely not the most dependable. Might be that I take it places that are considered rough but plenty others on this forum do much, much worse. I wish Toyota made a 3/4 ton and then it just wouldn't be an issue. I rarely get over 14 mpg unlike other folks cuz the Grandby sticks up abit above the cab and I get abit of buffeting. I haven't gotten around to making an air dam yet. That and I have all kinds of crap hanging off of it....the proverbial Joad mobile!
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#17 nevadamerica

nevadamerica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationReno/Tahoe

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

My 03AC/97Ranger II combo has been good. Done a few tweaks and need to do some more. Bilstein 5100 shocks all around and 3pc wheelers HD add a leaf in the rear. Air bags are next, but happy with it all, gas mileage can always be better

1997 FWC Ranger II

2003 Tundra

#18 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

We love our 05 tundra with a used 03 Grandby shell. Bought truck new, just turned 75k! Only used for camping and hauling firewood. Now it's full time with camper. I had Firestone ride rites put on in 06 and IMHO they are a pita. They do the job but if I had to do it over again I'd go with add a leafs. I've had bags blow, bag shackles literally disintegrate until I installed aircraft grade bolts, air valves fail at least once a year....definitely not the most dependable. Might be that I take it places that are considered rough but plenty others on this forum do much, much worse. I wish Toyota made a 3/4 ton and then it just wouldn't be an issue. I rarely get over 14 mpg unlike other folks cuz the Grandby sticks up abit above the cab and I get abit of buffeting. I haven't gotten around to making an air dam yet. That and I have all kinds of crap hanging off of it....the proverbial Joad mobile!

I had the same experiences with bags. Installed Roadmaster Active Suspension and had zero problems. Not a bag fan because of the experienced failures.   

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info folks. It will be filed away for future use. For now the idea of a replacement truck is on the back burner and the Moon Truck project is moving onward.

#20 evans06ac

evans06ac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

I have a 2006 Tundra AC 4x4 TRD w/ towing package and a Skamper popup.  I also have Happijack turnbuckles. How are you mounting your campers to your 1st gen Tundra Access cabs?  Front and rear mounting points? I see the Torklift mounts (+/- $600).  What other options are there? Anybody using Happijack universal bumper mounts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users