• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DevonOjas

DevonOjas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

My wife and I are driving coast to coast in late September, starting in Brooklyn, NY and ending up in the Los Angeles area. The goal of the trip is to get to the Pacific (Baja will be coming shortly after arrival in Cali), but a sensible route puts us within justifiable distance to Moab and the Grand Canyon.

In both locations we're mostly interested in taking in scenery and camping somewhere that feels special and remote. We're not "wheelers" interested in off roading for sport, but where a challenge is justifiable we're up for it. 

Our rig: 2012 Toyota Tacoma, Flatbed FWC Fleet, Old Man EMU 2" lift, BFG T/A KO2 approx 33" tires. 

If you're curious about our rig you can check it out on our Instagram feed @ontheroadhome

I would love to hear about WTW members favorite route for 1-2 days in each location.

Thanks!

Devon

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

You are going to have a great time. I have done coast to coast twice, west to east. See my trip reports below for ideas.

Our trip to the east coast.

East Coast Trip March 2015 Part one, Stockton to Baltimore.

East Coast Trip Part two, Baltimore to Key West.

East Coast Trip Part three, Key West to home.

#3 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

Skip the south rim of the Grand Canyon and go to the north rim.  There are two campsites at Sublime Point and you will need a back country pass.  We were there two weeks ago and walked into the back country office and got our pass the same day but I'd call and try to get one before you go.  Spectacular 300 degree view of the Grand Canyon.  The dirt road is about 18 miles and takes about 2 hours.

The national forest is the Kaibab and you can camp on the north rim on NFS land at Swamp Point, Fire Point, Timp Point, and Locust Point.  These are best accessed from FSR 22 from Hwy-67 just south of De Motte Campground.  It will take about 1:45 to get to these spots.

Vermillion Cliffs, Marble Canyon, Glen Canyon and Grand Staircase Escalante are within a couple hours drive from the north rim.

#4 DevonOjas

DevonOjas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

@LookyLou - I'm digging into your recommendations now. So far it's looking really exciting. Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

I would look at camping out Willow Springs Rd exiting Arches.  it is the old entrance road but has some areas where you will want 4WD.  You leave from Balanced Rock and once you cross the park boundary (well defined) you are on BLM land and can camp anywhere.  PRetty cool place and away from people.

Cathedral Valley in Capitol Reef NP has a backcountry campground that would be worth spending a night at  and then drive south along the Waterpocket Fold and up over the Burr Trail then on to Escalante.

Toroweap/Tuweep on the north side of the Grand Canyon is an amazing place, backcountry permit required for camping, 9 campsites.

I think it's time for me to start planning another trip south, maybe October  :D

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 DevonOjas

DevonOjas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

I would look at camping out Willow Springs Rd exiting Arches.  it is the old entrance road but has some areas where you will want 4WD.  You leave from Balanced Rock and once you cross the park boundary (well defined) you are on BLM land and can camp anywhere.  PRetty cool place and away from people.

Cathedral Valley in Capitol Reef NP has a backcountry campground that would be worth spending a night at  and then drive south along the Waterpocket Fold and up over the Burr Trail then on to Escalante.

Toroweap/Tuweep on the north side of the Grand Canyon is an amazing place, backcountry permit required for camping, 9 campsites.

I think it's time for me to start planning another trip south, maybe October  :D

@Cayuse - I'm so glad that I checked back in on this post. These are some fantastic recommendations. 

One question: Who do I call to reserve the back country pass on the GC North Ridge? I've been Googling the Back Country Office along with Grand Canyone, North Rim Kaibab, etc. and have come up with nothing. This sounds like a highlight of the trip and I don't want to chance not getting the pass. 

Thanks!

#7 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

@Cayuse - I'm so glad that I checked back in on this post. These are some fantastic recommendations. 

One question: Who do I call to reserve the back country pass on the GC North Ridge? I've been Googling the Back Country Office along with Grand Canyone, North Rim Kaibab, etc. and have come up with nothing. This sounds like a highlight of the trip and I don't want to chance not getting the pass. 

Thanks!

All the National Park Tuweep info can be found at http://www.nps.gov/g...isit/tuweep.htm  I have the phone number as (928) 638-7888.  You may be getting close on timing for Tuweep so best to call ahead and then print out and fax in the permit application.  They turned mine around pretty quickly.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#8 gvb1940@gmail.com

gvb1940@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:39 PM

Tuweep sounds awesome but if no dogs are allowed on the trails I'll have to skip it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moab, canyon lands, arches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users